cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing a Forum thread effectively!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

Could we have some additional note for threads such that whenever a memeber tries to close a thread, some notification pops up (or notification) saying that "Please make sure that you have updated the thread with the proper Solution of your problem" or something similar? Even if 10% of members follow this, we would have a lot of appropriately closed threads with us.

Thanks,

Prateek

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Actually, If closing thread effectively is an issue, There are people who dont even bother to close it in the first place. I think the community team should put in place a system where the user cant post another question until the first one is closed. I am sure in this way, every thread is bound to be closed.

Regards,

Vishwa.

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is a already a limit of ten open questions in place.

By the way, there is now an additional way to clean up:

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I really doubt If the users who dont even close their posts..will go back to the questions and delete them by themself. I really doubt If this feature would work for the old posts...

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey Hey,

Thanks for your interest

However, I think we are deviating from the original topic and that I really don't intend to.

This thread has an Assumption - "The SDNer has decided to close the thread".

Thanks,

Prateek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok. Prateek, I know I was deviating but did not want to start a new post for a similar issue..Anyhow.. I will cut it here itself.

Vishwa.

Former Member
0 Kudos

> This thread has an Assumption - "The SDNer has decided to close the thread".

There is a 10 open question to that assumption, as already mentioned by Thomas.

This limit is effective for questions opened since July 2008.

The comment field is not mandatory and I cannot imagine any Form design via which the user is forced to enter the solution before being able to close the thread...

But I think it should be self-explanatory to most, and those who don't probably won't share it anyway even they are reminded.

There is also a reminder in the mail watches sent out which encourages closing the thread...

The best thing to do in my opinion is to be a little bit pick and choosy about who's questions you answer.

Give them the benefit of the doubt, but if you can see that they misuse the forums, then ignore them.

Cheers,

Julius

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

IMO the Comment box should be made mandatory but...

Ying: It could turn out to be an effective tool to catch point-gamers.

Yang: It would effectively mean bouncing all answered questions to top-of-the-list.

pk

PS:

More of Ying: If a point-gamer quietly closes his thread after assigning points to his clone a month or so later without leaving a comment, its difficult to catch it.

More of Yang: Either way 90% of the members are not aware of the fact that the box is not mandatory and end up typing some nonsense.

Edited by: prashanth kishan on Nov 14, 2008 6:56 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

They will bounce them to the top with "asdf" comments.

Moderators already have to delete many of these to keep the forums clean for those who want to ask earnest questions and provide serious answers.

> More of Ying: If a point-gamer quietly closes his thread after assigning points to his clone a month or so later without leaving a comment, its difficult to catch it.

Not true, we catch those as well as long as they can be found.

As it were , you can run but you cannot hide (if you want to abuse the forums and the members).

Have a nice weekend,

Julius

former_member181995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

.....What if i 'unassigned' the mark first than delete?:-)

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I cannot imagine any Form design via which the user is forced to enter the solution before being able to close the thread...

Yes, but just a note or a pop-up could also help to certain extent.

Anyways, finally its will remain an individual's call to help the forums or not.

Right now I am closing the thread. May this suggestion could initiate some new and innovative thought somewhere.

Thanks All,

Prateek

former_member184119
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thats really Good point prateek....Hope this implication is going to give a glossary for all of us.

Regards

Sas