cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allocation of mobile applications with Device Configs and Install-Sequences

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi @all,

I'm using SAP Mobile Infrastructure and I like to allocate a new version of my mobile application to the enduser clients.

The mobile app I'm using is XMAM30 in Version 9.0040 (not in standard version, we've developed some code and view extensions).

XMAM30 is using the database DB2e which is stored on the endusers client.

At first I created an InstallSequence (via trancaction mcd) with DB2e and XMAM30. This InstallSequence is included in a device config.

And now my question is: how can I provide the newer version of XMAM30 -> 9.0041 to the clients? Okay, swapping the applications inside of the InstallSequence is a good idea but that doesn't take an effect. The clients working with the old version aren't effected by this way after the synchronisation.

What I like to prevent is creating a new device config because the client database will be deleted and the enduser has to synchronize all the initial data again, and this is a large amount of data.

Is there anybody with a good idea for me?

Thanks in advance,

Stefan Burghardt

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

If the syncbo have changed (new fields, new syncbos) then you will have no choices to replace the application and resync the whole database.

The preferred manner is to use a patch. Either with a install.xml or plain. So you create a zip file with your new application inside and you create a install.xml that will copy the application files into the webapp directory. It is pretty well explained in the MI documentation how to create such an install.xml.

You can have a look at a patch release of MAM. SAP is always including both the complete app and a delta of the changes as a patch (I know I made that code to create the patch!

Thank you,

Julien.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Julien,

thank you for your good answer

Is there a way how to distribute the patch to the mobile clients? I've got more than 700 mobile clients out there and it costs a lot of time to distribute it to each client seperately via the SAP Web AS (Netweaver Administrator). The next problem is that new client installations could happen, so I can't centralize the application together with the patch. At the first download the war-file comes down, after the war-file the patch is following and the mobile archive deletes the war-file after a restart of the mobile device. Only the patch is there. Do you know a good answer for this?

Thank you very much in advance,

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

On the web console, I think the name of the feature is hierarchy or device profile. You assign user to a particular profile of device (including application, settings etc) and the middleware will match the device to it.

I don't know if you can do that backward (creating the profile after the device are actually deployed). You would have to check that.

For your second question, new devices will be installed with the complete application (patched application) and the others upgraded with a patch.

I hope this helps,

Julien.