cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error connecting to ftp server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I'm doing file to file scenario through XI. The receiver communication channel is a normal file adapter and it is working perfectly fine . My sender communication channel is a FTP adapter. I'm trying to send a file from FTP to a folder on my integration engine. When i went into adapter monitoring, i got the error in the sender file adaper for ftp. The error is - " Error connecting to ftp server ".

normally, i'm able to do the ftp from integration server to my ftp server, but through XI , it is giving me the above mentioned error. I think some of my properties are not specified correctly. Kindly advise . The properties that i have specified in the ftp adapter are -

adapter type - file

transport protocol - ftp

message protocol - file

adapter engine - integration server

server - ip address of the ftp host

port - 21

username - username of the ftp server

password - password of the ftp user

connect mode - per file transfer

transfer mode - binary

folder - name of the folder created on the ftp root directory ( without the path ) Do i need to give the full path here ?

file name - file in the above specified folder

Kindly let me know.

Regards.

Naveen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Naveen,

Have you tried to look into the runtime/error logs of the adapter engine? There you wil find relevant information about the adapter that most of the times remains hidden.

You can access these logs via the Visual Administrator Tool located on the XI server.

Cheers,

Roberto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roberto, i have checked the logs and it says that "/sharedftp" no such file or directory exists

Former Member
0 Kudos

Naveen,

I assume the folder sharedftp exists on your target system. Have you tried with a backslash "\" i.e.

\sharedftp

Cheers,

Roberto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Guys, It worked when i gave the folder path as "/". Thanks a ton for your help.

I have one more issue related to the FTP processing. My root directory of FTP Server is on C Drive. Can i use any other file which is present on any other drives apart from teh root drive, say D Drive ? Is it that i can only use the files present on the root directory ? If i can use the files on other drives as well, what do i need to do ?

Kindly let me know.

Regards.

Naveen

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Naveen,

No you cannot connect to that in the D drive since you have configured the root directory as C. You can put the required files in your current root folder or its subfolders and use the same.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Naveen,

If you need to know the internals of FTP, spare some time to have a look at the RFC for FTP at the following link.

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc959.html

Should clear ALL of your doubts.

Regarding your question, You CAN NOT.Your files have to be in directory relative to your FTP root and in its subfolders only.

Message was edited by: Amol Joshi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Amol and all others who helped me out. Issue is resolved now.

Regards.

Naveen

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

adapter type - file

transport protocol - ftp

message protocol - file

adapter engine - integration server

server - ip address of the ftp host <b>(Check if the ip address is correct)</b>

port - 21

username - username of the ftp server <b>(Verify username)</b>

password - password of the ftp user <b>(Verify password)</b>

connect mode - per file transfer

transfer mode - binary

folder - name of the folder created on the ftp root directory ( without the path ) Do i need to give the full path here ? <b>(Do give the complete path here)</b>

file name - file in the above specified folder

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Naveen,

This link explains all the parameters that need to be entered for a file adpater. Just check it out and compare it with your values and your FTP settings.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/e3/94007075cae04f930cc4c034e411e1/content.htm

//folder - name of the folder created on the ftp root directory ( without the path ) Do i need to give the full path here ?

Yes, i think you should specify the full path here.

Regards,

bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naveen,

the link below gives you a very clear picture of how to configure the sender communication channel which is a FTP.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/e3/94007075cae04f930cc4c034e411e1/content.htm

and about the question if we will have to give the full path....yes we have to give the full path there..

Regards,

abhy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Abhy for the reply,

I'm doing the configuration based on the same link that you have specified me. i even gave the full path of the folder e.g.-

C:\Program Files\freeFTPd\sharedftp

Still it is giving the error.

Can you send me some demo values that correspond to the actual values tha one needs to enter ?

Regards.

Naveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

C:\Program Files\freeFTPd\sharedftp

is a wrong path.

You have to enter your path relative to your FTP root.

e.g. if C:\Program Files\freeFTPd\ is marked as FTP root and you are placing your files in the folder "sharedftp" , then you should enter path as "/sharedftp". The meaning of FTP root is that when you connect to your FTP server,you are automatically navigated to this directory of the server.

"pwd" is the ftp command which can tell you in which directory you are, on the server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naveen,

The entire path should work but if it hasnt, then just give a try like how Amol as suggested.

Regards,

abhy

PS:Award points for useful answers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amol, i specified the folder name as you mentioned. When i checked using the "pwd" command on my ftp server, i found that the current directory is "/". Still i'm geting the same error.

Regards.

Naveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

So you should specify only "/" as your path.