cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maintaining custom Web Dynpro Java applications

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are a relatively new Web Dynpro Java shop, and I hope to propose a standard for code modification documentation to my organization. I have a few questions for WDJ maintenance developers:

When documenting creation and modification activities, what is the benefit of using the javadoc comment convention?

In the controller implementation tab, when I use the Source --> Add JavaDoc Comment tool, the comment block is always inserted into the

//@@begin imports

tag. Is the automatically generated tag

//@@begin documentation

in the controller implementation tab useful? Should summary information and ongoing modification comments for the controller be stored here?

Does anyone require full javadoc comments on every new method? @param, @return, @exception?

Do the NWDS/Eclipse Tasks and/or Bookmarks provide any real value? I have observed that bookmarks are useless for flagging code changes because they are dropped whenever edits are saved. I'd like to leverage Tasks, are there any examples of using them successfully that can be shared with me?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, I know this question is about tiny details, like which @@begin tag to document update information - should it be the @@begin imports block, or the @@begin documentation block? - and it may seem trivial. I hope my questions are not a nuisance to others with actual problems they are trying to solve.

I appreciate the time you have spent with your reply.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Use the //@@begin documentation section for that. The //@@begin imports section is reserved for the imports and supports the Eclipse "Organize imports" functionality.

Your questions are welcome.

Armin

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The Java source in Web Dynpro is generated from the meta-data. Manual changes must be done exclusively inside the so-called user coding areas marked by comments //@@begin ID ... //@@end. That has the consequence that many of the Eclipse source code and refactoring functionality does not work anymore resp. is overwritten by the code generation step. Please be careful.

Armin