Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble-shooting SAP BEx authentication issues

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

When I am faced with an authorization issue in Business Explorer, it is quite troublesome as it is not as simple as executing SU53 and finding out the missing authorization objects. SU53 does not seem to work on Business Explorer (i.e. executing Queries, etc.).

In this instance, the user is running a query and receives the error message pop-up in Excel:

Error Specifying a value for variable Fiscal Period "Base Period"

I know this is an authorization issue as assigning a certain role corrects this and the Query will display to the user the proper fields to input values. However, what is the way I should go about trouble-shooting authorization issues such as these in the future? SU53 certainly doesn't work in this instance, is there something else I can use for Business Explorer?

7 REPLIES 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

However, what is the way I should go about trouble-shooting authorization issues such as these in the future? SU53 certainly doesn't work in this instance, is there something else I can use for Business Explorer?

For this instance you should also make use of RSECADMIN error logs.

I haven't seen these sorts of error, can you have Query Developer have a look at the query design.

Cheers !!

Zaheer

l_borsboom
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Benjamin,

SU53 has never worked for BEx.

For SAP BW 2.x and 3.x you can use [ST01 |https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/wiki?path=/display/plm/authorization%252btrace%252b-%252bst01]for technical authorization objects and [RSSM|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/oss_notes/sdn_oss_bw_bex/~form/handler] for data-authorization

In SAP BI 7.0 you can use [ST01|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/wiki?path=/display/plm/authorization%252btrace%252b-%252bst01] for technical authorization objects and [RSECADMIN|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/oss_notes/sdn_oss_bw_bex/~form/handler] for data-authorization

Kind regards,

Lodewijk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, both for your informative replies. I wish the person who had designed the query were still here for me to ask but unfortunately, that person has left a long time ago.

Thanks for the tip on using RSECADMIN error logs, it does look promising. However, it seems like it must be "turned on" for a specific user while the error is occurring so I will try next time a similar error such as this happens.

On a separate note, the authorization object I found to be missing - which caused the error in my original post was:

S_BDS_D - BC-SRV-KPR-BDS: Authorizations for Accessing Documents

This belongs to object class BC_Z (Basis Central Functions). I had to provide '03' ACTVT and * for data elements in order for the query to work.

This is very strange as I don't remember needing such an object. Is this a new requirement in BI 7 as I don't remember the user needing this while the system was still under BW 3.5.

Any thoughts on this object?

0 Kudos

Hi,

When you are in RSECADMIN it is possible for you to run the report(query) yourself with the authorizations of the person that gets the problem. The BI forum has a lot of answers to your questions and also in this forum you can find it. SAP BI introduced three new objects you have to use at least once with a user. When you go to the part in RSECADMIN to create authorizations you will find a button that supplies them. Do some research and find the presentation about BI 7.0 it will lighten your path.

Have fun

Bye Jan van Roest

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just wanted an opinion on the authorization object S_BDS_D.

0 Kudos

S_BDS_DS and S_BDS_D enables users to save workbook to their favorites folder and use BEx Analyzer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks guys, I will have to play with RSECADMIN a little more to find out about this functionality.