cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GIS VS XI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

Did any one reasearched on GIS Vs XI or GIS +XI for EDI integration requirements with SAP ?

I appreciate your input ideas/advise and any references/articles/links

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please see the below link

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/d53af8ca-0801-0010-08b0-dce9e021...

Regards

Chilla..

<i>points rewarded if it is helpful</i>

sam_raju
Contributor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks SAm,

I do not understand why XI inbetween SAP as GIS has IDOC adapter to comminicate with SAP? I understand SAP best practices recommend to use XI for any in-out of integrations with SAP.

But for justification, I am looking why clients are taking XI+GIS ? is there any other reasons?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Experts - any thoughts?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am looking for the same justification, can you let me know if you have come across some concrete answers to that? I would really appreciate it..

Thanks

Hashim

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have GIS here, and will not be implementing XI.

In reviewing the document that Sam Raju attached, I do not understand why you would need both GIS and XI. GIS can handle XML, IDocs, BAPIs, SOAP, AS2, csv files, email attachments, EDI (all types - ANSI X.12, EDIFACT, ODETTE, VICS, etc.), monitoring, business process workflow, etc. SAP R/3 can handle XML IDocs, and so can GIS, so I am not understanding why you would need both.

Does anyone know if there are SAP transaction costs/fees(charges) assigned between XI and GIS? I have been told that there are costs/fees assessed by SAP when XI communicates to a non-SAP system. GIS would be a non-SAP system.

And, if you are implementing other components/modules of SAP (i.e., MDM, CRM, APO, etc.) -- do you HAVE to implement XI, or is GIS just as good? We have implemented BW in production and we use ALE between R/3 and BW.

Beth Matthews

Charlotte Pipe and Foundry

bmatthews@charlottepipe.com

Former Member
0 Kudos

GIS is not recommended to use for SAP to SAP products or SAP to any other legacy (A2A) scenarios.

GIS can be used for B2B scenarios, but SAP XI is recommended to use in combination with GIS so that any in/out of data from SAP is going thru SAP XI as one place to maintain and monitor and as per SAP best practices as well.

If SAP stops supporting IDOC/RFC connector to these 3rd party vendors, what is the impact to your client? u have to rewrite all your interfaces?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

We use GIS->XI->SAP in our current project.One of the reasons for the same is that

1.The scenario demands the EDI document to be sent to SAP as well as other legacy systems concurrently .

2.Based on some fields of EDI different SAP systems take the same EDI and process it differently.

So I think when there are complex scenarios and high level transformations and multiple system updations it is important to use XI inbetween GIS and XI.Thats what best practices also recoomends

WHen there is a simple updation of few SAP system only GIS can be directly talking to SAP system.

So choosing XI between GIS and SAp depends in the scenario at hand.

Regards,

Rashmi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Who is saying that GIS is not recommended for use with SAP or legacy scenarios. It can handle A2A and B2B just like XI.

SAP will not be removing IDocs from their scenarios anytime soon. It is part of WAS, so it will be there for a long time. If SAP removes the IDocs, then it will need to change a tremendous amount of interfaces internally.

Whether you use GIS or XI or both, you still have to set up mapping. In the examples that have been posted out there for the original question, it seems to me that you are doing double mapping and work. If the SAP environment can send and receive XML documents, then both XI and GIS can handle that scenario.

We are not willing to double staff and double pay for XI when we already have GIS up and running and handling the volume loads.

Yes, it does come down to your scenarios. We have been on SAP R/3 since 1997. We are not willing to dump our entire communication/EDI/A2A/B2B scenario -- it works just fine.

Beth Matthews

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rashmi,

here i'm facing the same situation.. Yet to start

GIS->XI->R/3..

if you don't mind , could share some document related to this scenario which you are working now...

its veryhelpful for us...

here is my ID: vasanthkumar27@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance...

regds,

vasanth.