cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practices for Refreshing Unv Structure for SAP based universes

Former Member
0 Kudos

This may sound basic and I apologize for asking this, but the refresh structure in SAP based universes is somewhat different from noraml universes.

Here is what i'd like to do:

- Hide all the L00 objects.

- Rename all the L01 objects and move them to a new Class.

- Change some of the detail (attribute) objects to dimension objects.

- Hide the format and Unit for key figures.

- Hide all of the classes/subclasses that get automatically generated when a SAP based universe is created.

I have noticed that when I do the above and refresh the universe, it assumes that all these objects have gone missing from the original classes and adds them back to the universe.

I also want to make sure that if the select of an object gets updated and the object is re-named, then it should automatically pick up the change.

Lastly, I have some reports which were built prior to this renaming. I want to make sure that the reports do not break.

Thanks,

Kashif

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

We have deployed XI 3 SP2 at my company, but when creating the universes from BW queries we still don't have the additional parameters. What we have to do in order to accomplish these new settings?

Dilder, can you give me more reference about this application you built in Developer SDK to accomplish the aforementioned changes in the Universe?

André

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

BOE XI3.1 SP2 has been released in July 09 and allows now the universes to be refreshed without issues and also take into account all changes you lay have done in universes.

Addtional options mentioned are only available through the SDK application that is available on BOPedia.

Regards,

Didier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response Didier.

I didn't find the application you mentioned to download.

Could you send me the link to download this application?

I'd really like to try it.

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi André,

Here is the link:

This version is valid for BOE XI 3.1, a new version for BOIE XI 3.1 SP2 will be available soon.

Didier

former_member193430
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all, we have a issue when i refresh the structure of a universe it shows that 3 keyfigures are deleted and they are present in the BEX query. Any idea why it happened and what is the work around. thanks. Toor.

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

This thread is really old.

Yes it was a common problem back in the earlier XI 3.x days . a lot of bugs in this area were eliminated by the time of XI 3.1 SP03 FP3.x - you don't quote your version.

Actually, you need to be aware that a refresh structure is often not needed, and can corrupt the olap universe . Pls check out Note 1278216 - What are the best practices for OLAP Universe Change Management when using SAP Integration Kit?

in essence :

Only use 'Refresh Structure' functionality If:

- A new Object (Dimension/Characteristic) has been added to the BEx query (Rows/Columns/Free Characteristics)

- A new Variable Restriction has been added to the Bex query Filters

Do not use 'Refresh Structure' functionality after:

- Having modified a STRUCTURE in BEx. i.e. 'Detail view of Formula' or 'Details of Selection', or changing the General Description of structure members.

- Doing manual actions on objects/classes in the OLAP Universe like: Move ; Cut/Paste ; Drag/Drop ; Hide ; Delete.

(because these workflow can lead to corruption)

regards,

H

former_member193430
Participant
0 Kudos

We are on:

Xir 3.1 SP 3, FP 3

REcently we have added 2 objects in the bex query and those are required as part of the report. We always add and mostly dont have any issues with this. So when i went to update the structure (universe) it shows that those are added and then show deleted items that contains 3 of the mian keyfigures that we are currently using in the report. Thanks. Toor.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kashif,

We plan to deliver in XI 3 SP2 (planned in June 09) enhancements on SAP universes and especially for the Life Cycle Management.

We will take into account several additional parameters at generation and refresh time such as:

- Delete or hide all the L00 objects

- Remove prefix for L01 objects

- Generate TECH_NAME attributes

- Generate NAME and DESCRIPTION attributes in order to optimize performance (avoid as much as possible usage of display attributes)

- Take into account hidden objects

- Take into account as much as possible deleted characteristics

- Select which characteristics / hhierarchies / levels to generate

- Take into account all moves made in the universe

Currently, when you refresh a universe we support objects renaming.

So concerning your expectations when you rename an object, there is no issue with yours documents.

In fact this is not dependent of the data source, all universes and documents get synchronized even if objects are renamed: a unique ID is managed in universes to maintain synchronization.

On the other hand, if objects definition change, they are automatically updated during the refresh operation.

Last, I have built an application using Designer SDK that addresses some of the requirements you mention: L00, L01, tech_name, optimization, etc.

Regards,

Didier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Didier,

Thanks for your detailed response. I'd like to share some of my findings.

I created new classes and sub-classes in the universe and moved (and renamed) L01 objects to those classes. When I refresh the universe structure, it:

1- Adds the L01 objects to the original classes, as it treats those objects missing.

2- The renamed objects (in new classes) do not pick the object Select changes.

The second one above is a bummer because it means one has to go back and manually change the objects select:(.

Thanks,

Kashif

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kasif,

I think SAP based universes can be updated & modified by using universe builder tool.

if you are making some changes in the structure of the universe then you have to export it first then it may be displaying the changes.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ritesh.