JPA: Oracle Sequence Generator not up to date

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm using the JPA Oracle Sequence Generator in one of my JPA classes:

@Entity
@Table(name = "DACC_COST_TYPE")
public class JPACostType implements Serializable {
@SequenceGenerator(name = "CostTypeGenerator", sequenceName = "DACC_COST_TYPE_SEQ")
    @Column(name = "ID_COST_TYPE")
    @Id @GeneratedValue(strategy = GenerationType.SEQUENCE, generator = "CostTypeGenerator")
    private Integer idCostType;
}

In order to persist a new object I perform the following code:

@PersistenceContext
private EntityManager em;
JPACostType myJPA = new JPACostType();
myJPA.setIdCostType = null;
em.merge(myJPA);
em.flush();

Normally this works fine. But after deploying the app there sometimes happens an error:

Caused by: javax.persistence.PersistenceException: SQLException while inserting entity {com.karmann.dacc.ejb.busilog.jpa.JPACostType(idCostType=4)}.

at com.sap.engine.services.orpersistence.core.PersistenceContextImpl.flush(PersistenceContextImpl.java:278)

at com.sap.engine.services.orpersistence.core.PersistenceContextImpl.beforeCompletion(PersistenceContextImpl.java:565)

at com.sap.engine.services.orpersistence.entitymanager.EntityManagerImpl.beforeCompletion(EntityManagerImpl.java:410)

at com.sap.engine.services.orpersistence.environment.AppJTAEnvironmentManager.beforeCompletion(AppJTAEnvironmentManager.java:197)

at com.sap.engine.services.ts.jta.impl.TransactionImpl.commit(TransactionImpl.java:232)

... 52 more

Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: ORA-00001: unique constraint (AEMA.DACC_COST_TYPE_PK) violated

Obviously JPA does not fetch the new key by accessing the Oracle sequence. This documents "next value = 5". Does JPA fetch the new key from its cache? Is there any possibility to avoid this?

Thanks for each hint,

Christoph

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

additional remark:

the allocationSize must fit with the sequence on the DB, jpa default value is 50

pls try to annotate allocationSize=1 if you created your sequence without increment

regards

-Andreas

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Sharathmg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Christoph Schäfer ,

I am stuck with a similar issue. I was able to save mutiple entries and there has not been much change to my JPA. I added new entities and new sequences.

Now, I get the error Caused by: javax.persistence.PersistenceException: java.sql.SQLException: ORA-02289: Sequence ist nicht vorhanden.

I have checked the name of sequence and sequence next val on the DB. It works on DB but when i execute it from ejb, it gives me thsi error. Now, it gives the error for all previously working JPA entities.

I have also provided allocationSize = 1 for all entities.

Please let me know, possible cause/solution to this issue.

thank you.

Regards,

Sharath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, now I've got it. The solution was in fact "allocationSize=1".

Former Member
0 Kudos

In case of error SQL-Trace in fact reports that there is no query against the Oracle-Sequence. In case of success I can see the query against the sequence.

Regards,

Christoph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

is it true that the sql trace is only available for datasources of type "Open SQL"? My datasource is of type "Vendor SQL".

Regards,

Christoph

Vlado
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Christoph,

SQL Trace can be used with Open SQL and Native SQL, but not and Vendor SQL.

With Native SQL you also get another important feature compared to Vendor SQL - statement pooling.

For more information please check the bottom of [Overview of the Java Persistence Infrastructure|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwce10/helpdata/en/2d/23b32e8c0152469edf07909703fe03/frameset.htm].

Regards,

\-- Vladimir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

thanks for your answers. "allocationSize=1" does not fix my problem. I will try to follow your other hints.

Regards,

Christoph

0 Kudos

Hi Christoph,

this is somehow strange, I don't understand how the key 4 comes into the DB, could it be that more than one application is running and using the sequence ?

To see what's really going on we must have a look at a SqlTrace of such a problem, you can use the url /OpenSQLMonitors for that or search at help.sap.com for sqltrace to get some more info.

btw: why do you use merge instead of persist when the entity is newly created ?

regards

-Andreas