Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WebDynpro Error Detail

matteodesantis
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a problem. When my WebDynpro Project returns an error, I can't see the error detail into the browser window, but I read only the following text:

"500 Internal Server Error

Web Dynpro Container/SAP J2EE Engine/6.40

Failed to process request. Please contact your system administrator."

Can anyone tell me how I can set the error detail from VisualAdministrator Tool?

Thanks and best regards,

Matteo

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

You need to check if the server was installed in Development mode or test mode. if it was installed in test mode you cannot see the error trace. Please see the SAP Note.

Note 962319 - Detailed error messages with stack trace in Web Dynpro

Error pages raised by Web Dynpro for Java, e.g. pages telling a "500 Internal Server Error", can be shown in different levels of detail.

In productive systems only a short version of the error message is shown to avoid revealing secret information. In development systems a verbose version of the error message is shown, e.g. containing a full stack trace.

Web Dynpro decides the level of detail in the following way:

1. Check in the Visual Administrator, "Licensing Adapter" -> "General" -> "SystemType" !

If it is set to "DEVELOPMENT_MODE", verbose error messages are shown.

If it is undefined, proceed with the next step.

If it is set to something else, only exception IDs are shown. In this case the only chance is to search for this exception ID in the default traces.

2. If the system type is undefined, then in the Config Tool "Configurations" -> "webdynpro" -> "sap.com" -> "tcwddispwda" -> "Propertysheet default" -> "DevelopmentMode" is evaluated. If it is "true", verbose error messages are shown.

3. If verbose error messages are required but still the short version is shown, you probably face an error message that is not raised by Web Dynpro but by other components of the NetWeaver. In the Visual Administrator set "Properties" -> "HTTP Provider" -> "DetailedErrorResponse" to "true".

4. In addition to the error page shown in the browser or client, important messages - including error messages and stack traces - are written to the log and trace files, e.g. to the default traces usr\sap\<SID>\<instance>\j2ee\cluster\server<number>\log\defaulttrace.trc.<number>.

a) In some cases, when an exception ID is included in the error message, the detailed error message can easily be retrieved in the log file.

b) When no exception ID is given, you have to search for the detailed error message in the log specifying time stamp and/or user ID.

Always consider restarting the system after making changes on the settings.

It is not recommended to switch the "SystemType" to an inappropriate value just for viewing verbose error messages. The system type potentially affects framework, applications and licensing in an perhaps unintended way.

In the past there was no distinction between different system types regarding error messages. For security reasons this distiction has been introduced. It is not intended to show stack traces in non-development systems in the future. SAP does not provide workarounds or patches to enable such a behaviour again.

Answers (0)