cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Validations in MDM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can someone tell me in MDM how the validation works?

if we have to create a new record in MDM using data manager , these validations will trigger at field level?

or we need to trigger them manually?

Sonali

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sonali,

If you want to validate your records during entering data in data manager then then you have to

select either warning or error under Automatic execution tab as mentioned above.

If you select warning then u have to give your own warning message. When u will entering data in data manager this validation automatically run and if it fails then u will get the warning message but u can save the records

In case of error if validation fail you will get the error message and u cant save the record.

Kindly update this thread.

Thanks,

Dola Aich

Former Member
0 Kudos

Validation is fired when record is created or updated. In MDM u have three option under

Automatic execution tab.

1. None : If u have selected none it will not run automatically. In this case u have to run it

manually

2. Warning : If u have selected Warning than system will give you warning message and u can

save the record.

3. Error : If u have selected errot than system will give you error message and u cannot

save the record.

Hence it is depend upon your selection of Automatic execution tab. Which u can define at the time of creation of validation and is secondlast option of properties of validation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sonali,

As far as I have understood your requirement is to execute the validations once the records are added into the data manager.

This can be achieved using workflows.

Set the workflow property on record add.

Also, include the validation step in your workflow.

start -> process->validate->stop

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Minaz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I donot want to use workflow, can i achieve automatic execution without using workflow

Sonali

former_member198313
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sonali,

if we have to create a new record in MDM using data manager , these validations will trigger at field level?

1 Go to Validations tab.

2 Create New

3 Give the Name of the Field for which you want to set the Validation.

4 Click on Validation Expression field

5 Enter the validation for the field. example: expression (Field) --> IS NOT NULL (Product) or IS NOT NULL (category).

6. Select Automatic Execution field value as warning or error.

7. Save it.

Now Add a new record. Leave the field blank for which you written validation.

Validation will automatically trigger when you try to save the new record. You will get a pop-up of validation.

Hope this help,

+ An

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sonali,

You can automate the execution of validations without using workflows also.

While creating the required validations, there is property called automatic execution.

If you set it to yes, then your validations will be executed whenever you edit and save the record.

Depending on the error message set i.e. warning or error, MDM will respond in the following ways.

· Warning: MDM simply warns you before saving a record if any of the automatic validations fail when you press Shift + Enter.

· Error: MDM not only warns you but also prevents you from saving the record if any of the automatic validations fail.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Minaz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sonali,

As mentioned in my above post.

You can run Automatic validations on the records at the time of creation of anew record or modification of an existing records.

When ever you create a new record and try to save it, the validation will prompt you the message and then you will be able to save the record without correcting it if your automatic execution is warning.But if it si error it will not allow you to save the record till you correct it.

So to run automatic validation you need to set the validation as Error or warning.

If you want to run the validation through workflows then set it to None.

But note: If you already have some records in the data manager before you create a validation,then once you go and create the validation,then validation does not run on its own on these preexisting records.It will run only if you try to modify or create a new record.

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

former_member198313
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sonali,

Validations can work automatically.

for more info, refer this

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/b025fab3-b3e9-2910-d999-a27b7a07...

Hope this helps,

+ An

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI An+,

I could not figureout how to set properties to execute validations.

i defined validation expression in data manager , only on manual right click on record this is been executed.

could you pls tell me what setup i need to do to run it automatically?

Sonali

former_member198313
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sonali,

Hope its not for Workflow.

Select the Automatic Execution as warning or error.

Also enter the Error Message.

You can also select Callable as Yes.

Hope this clarifies,

+ An

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sonali,

Validations in MDM can be run on selected records or all records based on the validation type you slect.

The Automatic Exceution type of the validation decides the manner in which the validation will run.

There are three main types of Automatic Exceution in MDM:

- None

- Warning

- Error.

None:If you set the execution as NONE in the MDM data manger for the validations then the validation will run only on selected records.This happens in the case of using the Validation step(Stencil) in the workflow.

Warning:If the validation is a Warning then MDM will prompt you with the warning you write in the Validation tab when ever you fail teh validation.However it will allow you to proceed as it is only a warning.

Error:In this case the MDM validation will not allow you to save the records unless you correct the error.eg if you have set a mandatory validation as error it will not allow you to save the record with this field as blank.

The validations get triggered automatically when you try to create a new record.

If you want the validation to run on an already existing record then you will have to run the validation manually on it by right clicking on the rec.

So the execution of the validation on the records will depend whether you are runing the validation on:

- A new record

- An existing record

- A record in a workflow.

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto