cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP PI 7.1 model objects in different software components

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello PI modelling experts,

a newby question to modelling in different software components. We would like to use the 3 software component approach i.e.: For an interface we are using at least 3 SCs. One with the interfaces and types of the sending system, one for the interfaces and types of the receiving system and one containing our mappings etc.

In order to depicture an generate our artifacts, we would like to use the PI 7.1 process component interaction model. The problem seems to be, that models can't be used across software components. Has anybody any suggestions with respect to this issue?

Thank you in advance and kind regards,

Heiko

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Heiko!

In my eyes the "old best practice" to use SWCVs in PI does not fit to an eSOA approach anymore.

Indeed the new modeling capabilities are in place on SWCV level. So if you want to use them you should collect all the relevant business objects, service interfaces and service operations in one SWCV.

A SWCV in my eyes now should cover at least a complete process component. You can then use namespaces and maybe the new folders to further structure your objects.

The other way might be to make extensive use of usage dependencies, but this in fact leads to the effect that all SWCVs depend on each others making thing more confusing than clearer.

I'm currently "fighting" with a new structuring approach in PI 7.1 fitting to eSOA approach - and I fight against SAP Best Practices and DSAG Best Practices (DSAG = German SAP User Group) still living in the "old integration server approach of XI/PI" with the well-known 3 SWCVs.

For classical XI/PI integration approaches these Best Practices still may make sense, but not for eSOA.

Like already mentioned: This is my personal opinion ... like to share it with other experts in this forum...

Regards,

Volker

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Volker,

thanks for your general thoughts. I would like to make my question more concrete: The new PI model types don't support the 3 SC approach, since they don't allow relations between model elements from different SCs!? Am I right?

Best regards,

Heiko

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

As far as I have understood and seen and tried it on SAP TechEd 2008 in Berlin: YES

Maybe there is a trick to make thing work, but if so then it is not documented in help.sap.com nor known by me.

Regards,

Volker