cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

table multiselelect

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can somebody tell me if is real that multi select is working only if you press the ctr/shift key??

Florin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Florian,

Yes. Using <i>Ctrl + Left Mouse Click</i> you can multi-select the entities in a table. What is the problem that you are facing? If it is something related to multi-select eventing then refer this .

Bala

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is the problem??

It's unbelievable something like that.

To have in a WEB application a restriction for multiselect using ctrl key.

I thought is a bug, but...

Give me another example of a web control where you need to use a keu+mouse combination (from .net or from php)

Florin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Web Dynpro has two kinds of selection, lead selection and multiselection, which are completely different.

What do you propose as a solution to allow both kinds of selection?

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Perhaps you can explain me why do i need two kinds of selection.

Florin

Former Member
0 Kudos

The concept of lead selection in Web Dynpro allows you to implement master-detail scenarios via data binding.

Typical example: you have an overview table and a detail form, both are bound to the same context node. If you now change the lead selection of the overview table, the detail form automatically displays the details of the "record" corresponding to the new lead selection.

Multi-selection is a weaker concept, it does not change dependent data automatically.

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

The project that I'm working on just now is for a university. There are more than 10 thousand students here, many of them (all but) computer illiterate (many doing social science courses after flunking everything else no doubt too lol).

Anyhoos, rather than try to explain to them to use the Ctrl+click to multi-select what I've done is add a column containing check boxes to any tables where we want that multiple rows can be selected.

I think that seeing and using checkboxes is much more obvious/easy to people who don't spend much time with computers the way that we all obviously do. I add 'Help' to most of my applications too but I don't expect most people to actualy read it so even explaing the Ctrl+click method in the help wouldn't really clear things up.

Perhaps there are many applications where checkboxes won't work the way that multi-select works, simply won't be able to offer the functionality; but for my use cases the checkboxes are great. Mostly I'll list a table of classes, allow the user to select as many as they want with the checkboxes and then after the 'Next' button is clicked I just check each row for 'Checked' or not.

Perhaps this can work in your use case now, perhaps Armin can explain why/where it wouldn't work in other cases that I just haven't come across yet.

Regards,

Patrick.

EDIT:

I thought more and I see that on each 'checkbox' click the lead selection is updated, this will be a difference between my solution and actual multi-select.

Message was edited by: Patrick O'Neill

Former Member
0 Kudos

Because you asked me...

The look-and-feel of multi-selection in the Web Dynpro Table UI element is not determined by the programming model but by the rendering framework.

The UI designers of the rendering framework decided to do it with CTRL-Click.

In the Mac-OS Finder you have to press Apple-Click, in MS Windows Explorer you have to press CTRL-Click for multiselection. Would you say Web Dynpro is exotic in this regard?

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

And on a pda what should i press??

Florin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Armin, I see.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out though that most MS Windows users don't know that in Windows Explorer you have to press CTRL-Click for multiselection.

Personaly I think that in most cases the Ctrl-click is fine, before working on this project everything I developed was for small(ish) teams of (professional) people who we could then sit with a 'train'. This project is different from most (I think) in that there is a massive user base of thousands of people and this user base is dynamic, constantly changing every few months with the academic semesters. Training becomes simply impossible in this situation. Also, many of the users will not have a lot of computer using experience so they simply won't know much that we take for granted ourselves. That's why I coded the checkbox solution.

Florin, if this is a real problem for your use case then you should open an OSS and request the functionality that you desire. Making combative sounding posts on SDN won't help though.

Patrick.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't know the answer for all mobile devices, you should look in the documentation.

What I found at http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/0e/23b3c8b0a238439f664f73a04e6332/content.htm

(Unfortunately the link "Mobile Web Dynpro" points to an internal URL which is not publicly accessible)

Correct link:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/7d/28fa3e7cb1d861e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

<i>For BlackBerry wireless handhelds, the multiple selection is not supported. The contents of the first column of a table are rendered as links in BlackBerry wireless handhelds. You can only use the UI elements LinkToAction, LinkToURL, and TextView as table cell editors.</i>

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Patrick,

I allready implemented your solution with separate colum with checkboxes.

But for me it's simple unbelievable this solution for multi select.

You can ask 1000 end users and they will respond that they are making multiselection by using only de mouse.

Florin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Florin,

I can only try to explain things from my point of knowledge but I am not responsible for every Web Dynpro feature. So it is a little bit disappointing that my answers were not helpful to you.

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Armin,

Now i splited the points.

Florin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please give Bala 6 points.

Armin

Answers (0)