cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BW on MSSQL

former_member220430
Active Participant
0 Kudos

We are planning to migrate our BW 3.5 systems to a new hardware which is running on MSSQL. I would like to know if there is a documentation for known issues or best practice on how to go about this.

I have already read the Homogeneous and Heterogeneous System Copy for SAP Systems based on SAP WebAS ABAP 6.40 SR1 document and SAP Note 886102. Please let me know if there are other documents that you recommend to be reviewed.

My main concern is that I once had a problem with BW and Oracle. It turned out that they weren't logging some things so when they applied the transaction logs it didn't capture everything. That's something I'd like to know - is there anything like that for SQL server?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member220430
Active Participant
0 Kudos

The post-processing was similar for ECC with some additional steps such as RSA1 and WE20 checks. But in essences, BW and ECC post-processing were almost the same.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi. First of all you have 15 unresolved question , try to read rules :

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/wiki?path=/display/home/rulesofEngagement

about your question ,

are you read about SMIGR_CREATE_DDL report ?

Try to check for example

P.S. looks like the Note 960504 - Potential data loss after migrating BW 3.5 from ORA to MSSQL

it's also for you.

Regards.

Edited by: Sergo Beradze on Nov 11, 2008 10:26 AM

former_member220430
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sergo,

I have changed the subject of this message to a more appropriate one (hopefully).

I have already ready the SAP note that you have provided and ran across SMIGR_CREATE_DDL report in the Hom/Het System Copy for SAP Systems based on ABAP 6.40 guide that I mentioned earlier.

Just to clarify, I am only trying to migrate to a new hardware so this is considered homegenous for which I plan to use the database-specific (attach/detach or backup/restore) procedure. Based on my understading SMIGR_CREATE_DDL is applicable for heterogenous and R3load procedures.

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes. excuse me, I has not correctly understood your question...

I think you want migrate from Oracle to MSSQL on new hardware ....

Regards.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That's what i understood aswell... anyhow, just follow the homogeneous system copy then...

Regards

Juan

former_member220430
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Are there not any special steps after the homogenous copy other those indicated in SAP Note 886102? From this note, I believe the scenario that I'll be working on is either A1 or B1. Are the settings in RSA1 for example going to be carried over to the target environment automatically just as long as the RFC connections to the logical systems are working?

I am actually more eager to know the issues that experts might have already encountered in the past related with restoring the MSSQL 2005 database, the BW system and its connections to source systems so that I can also prepare for them ahead of time as the schedule for my migration that I have is quite tight.