cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does sender file adapter loose files/ miss them??

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI All,

I am in a file to IDOC scenario.

Xi is picking files from a network folder and creating each file into a single IDOC and sends to R/3.

All seems fine when we do testing for 1 file at a time

However I realised that if more than 20 or 40+ files come into this folder at once, it does pick all of them and processes them but somehow it randomly at-times misses to create an IDOC for a single file.

There are no system-errors. RWB is clean. SXI_MONITOR is clean. No errors. Just that system has randomly not created an idoc for a single file. It has created for rest all...just one is missed out sometime.

Has anyone faced this before. Any hints what could be wrong.

Regards

Shirin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

Inj order to chekc this issue please go to your file adapter and archive all incoming files in a separate folder. Questions: Do all files "land" in this archive folder or is the "missing idoc file" also missing here?

With what version of XI/PI are you working?

Depending on Release and SP Level the file adapter sometimes shows a behaviour that it reads and archives/deletes incoming files but does not really process them (without further notice!). This especially comes true when then file is empty or some file conversion codnitions do not fit (e.g. you derfined ta get semicolon-separated fields, but the file contains comma-separated fields).

Check your file contents ...

Regards,

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Volker,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I indeed have switched on archieving and thats what showed us that the file was picked by adapter but it did not create an IDOC for it.

I am on XI 3.0 SP15

Regards

Shirin

VijayKonam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How did you set the adapter file processing? Alphabetical or creation time? Try changing this to Alaphabetical order. Also, were the files missing processed are empty??

VJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi VJ,

From your reply, I guess you have faced problems if we use Date-Time as the file pickup sequence in adapter. I too am using that.

Just wondering what could be the problem if we use Date-time instead of Alphabetical sequencing for file pickup.

Appreciate if you could throw some more light on this.

Many Thanks

Shirin

VijayKonam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Since you have mentioned that, if you place all the files at a time.. may internally the time stamp on each file could be same and that might be causing some issue with processing the file. With file name as processing mode, since each file has a unique name in the directory, there are less chances that adapter might be missing processing files.

VJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

If the adapter pcked the file and created an archived version of it, but did not create an idoc then obviously you have no problems with file namings. please have a look into the files not beeing processed. are you really sure their content is correct? please try it with a file where you are sure the xi processes it (creates an idoc), duplicate that file e.g. 50 times and then throw all these 50 files into the folder where the xi is looking for new files.

tell us what happens. are all files processed now (that is are 50 idocs created)?

Regards,

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

... forgot something:

When editing files for the xi please do not use any tools which create "invisible footprints" within the files when saving them. classical samples for such "invisible footprint" creators are ms excel and ms wordpad. instead use a simple text editor like for instance textpad, notepad or the "mercedes benz version" altova xml spy.

Regards,

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shirin

Based on the conversation above what i understand is you are picking file and able to archive as well and you have processing sequence as Date time.

The date time will be OS date time. When you process these files if the source system is sending in bulk this will not help as PI will pick random file .

Now what is the condition to create IDOC is it based on data or all existence of some field etc. If yes you do need to check data content and mapping for the files for whom IDOC was not created.

Thanks

Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thankyou All,

The problem got solved. The issue was with some invisible footprints as Volker has pointed out.

So those files were in-a-way corrupt, so never got processed.

However, I fail to understand, why didnt XI raise an ERROR?

Anyways as of now issue solved, maybe now need to understand why there is NO error message.

Regards

Shirin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shirin!

I had very, very long CSN discussions with SAP XI/PI Support on that issue. SAP very long said this is "feature not bug". But in the end even SAP recognized that this is maybe "bug not feature" and for XI 3.0 in one of the recent support packages this issue is fixed in that way, that the Adapter now reports an error when getting and archiving/deleting files without processing them further.

I'm not sure about the concrete SP number ... just apply the latest SPs if possible.

Another workaround is to write a report checking on file system level whether all incoming files have really been processed. For a customer I solved it as follows: Incoming files are archived in directory xyz and after processing the file in XI it is finally also stored in directory abc. Then I wrote an ABAP report in XI/PI comparing the contents of these two directories xyz and abc and reporting any differences (optionally as alert or email or just list output). Simple but efficient.

Regards,

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Volker

Thanks for sharing this information. I was not able to figure out that it is due to the editor but work around i was using is script to fix this. Always did a movement of files as binary. it worked but now i can think of another method.

Nice one

Thanks

Gaurav

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shirin,

What you are syaing based on that it can be concluded that file adapter is not acting well when there are bluk of messages... correct??

As Gaurave said, first try to find for which file it got faild to create the IDOC. Once you find it then process that file separately and see what happens to it... because if there are some condition in order to create the IDOC in the mapping then check it if conditions are ture for that particular file or not.

Regards,

Sarvesh