cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to work with SAP installed on external HDD?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I've installed SAP 4.7C on my desktop. Now i want to connect my Desktop HDD to my Laptop. After connecting as external HDD can I use SAP software installed on external HDD.

If possible, pls provide the steps to solve the issue.

Thanks to All.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mohnish,

How much base local harddisk size do you have on your notebook.

If you have 120GB base hard disk on your notebook then you can keep sap software on local hard disk and database on USB Hard Disk.

Regards,

Nikunj Thaker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nikunj,

Can you help me with my query?

I am trying to install VMWare ESXi on my laptop which has a 120GB HDD + 500GB USB HDD. I have the following queries:

1. When I start the installation it says - "VMWare has detected that your disk contains data and is partitioned....you will lose configuration data and VMs." ---> Does this mean my HDD will be formatted or my existing data will be deleted?

2. Is there a hypervisor that supports USB HDDs?

Thanks in advance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Why you want to installat VMWare ?

Without using VMWare still you can do installation of SAP only things is that you have to distribute i.e. keep SAP exe in another partition of 120GB Hard Disk, Keep SAP Database in 500GB USB Drive.

After installation keep database startup and SAP startup mannual.

IN this scenario everytime you have to take care that without connecting your USB Harddrive you can't start DB.

And also extra care and efforts are required when you are keep in external drive.

Regards,

Nikunj Thaker.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nikunj,

I intend to install SAP on my virtual server on my USB HDD in entirety so that I can "carry my installation" with me and "plug and play" to any windows desktop and access my virtual server using a suitable VMWare software.

In case I inst the SAP without VMWare, it will create registry entries on my laptop and it will no longer be "portable"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mohnish,

If you like to run SAP using that HDD on your laptop than you have to boot your laptop with that HDD. than you can use SAP.

Consult with you IT guys to boot your laptop with that HDD.

Thanks,

Bhanu Pratap Singh

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mohnish,

if you - as I assume - use Windows, then the answer is: no, that's not possible.

The installation creates certain registry entries and services and a whole lot other stuff that is not stored in the installation directory but in the local registry, the local system folder, the local standard software folder and the like.

SAP R/3 is obviously not a mobile application but a server based system.

If you really want to "take your installation with you", why don't you simply use a virtual machine (e.g. via VM Ware)?

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

Thanks for your response, can u provide me more details on VM WARE. I've no idea about VM WARE. How should i go for it.

Regards,

MK

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Monish,

it's pretty easy - go to VMware's website [http://www.vmware.com], download the VMWare software (for example the free to download ESXi [http://www.vmware.com/download/esxi/]), create a virtual machine, install your preferred operating system in it, install your SAP solution on top of this and that's it.

Now you've got some files that can be used (together with the VMWare software, e.g. the VMWare Player) on any PC you like.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

I am trying to install VMWare ESXi on my laptop which has a 120GB HDD + 500GB USB HDD. I have the following queries:

1. When I start the installation it says - "VMWare has detected that your disk contains data and is partitioned....you will lose configuration data and VMs." ---> Does this mean my HDD will be formatted or my existing data will be deleted?

2. Is there a hypervisor that supports USB HDDs?

Thanks in advance