cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Key Generation - What is the purpose of this field?

former_member469694
Participant
0 Kudos

Could anybody explain what is the purpose of Key Generation --> Range --> From ... To ... Values and how it is used.

In my example, I merged record A with Record B and the surviving record is now B. My Syndication file shows the key mapping information about both Record A and Record B and that is fine. I set Key Generation to NONE in this case.

Later, I set Key Generation to 'RANGE' and provided some FROM and TO values then syndicated again but my result is same.

So, I am confused what is the purpose of the field Key generation = Range and how it is used.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

Key Generation in MDM is used to assign a Key to the incoming source records that are not having an originally Remote Key form the Remote system.

It is used many when we want records of Main table to have a remote key assigned to them when Syndicating out of MDM so taht they can identified by that Key in the target system.

This Key can be in any defined range or determined by a lookup field values.

The Key Generation property of the Remote Systems table allows the MDM administrator to specify how keys should be generated.

Key generation for new records can be specified as follows:

None

New records will not have keys.

Range

MDM automatically generates keys based on values you specify for the From and To properties.

Qualified Range

MDM automatically generates keys for the specified single-valued lookup field based on values you specify using the Range property.

Keys are generated at time of syndication.

To change the range of existing key values, first set Key Generation to None to wipe out existing key values and then set it back to Range and enter the new From and To range values.

You can specify Qualified Range values by selecting the single-valued lookup field from the drop-down list and specifying From and To range values for each lookup table value, as described below.

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

I think the best explanation will be by help.sap.com. So i am giving here the link for the concept of Key Generation.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdm550/helpdata/en/8e/9f9c427055c66ae10000000a155106/frameset.htm

Go to-> Repository Maintenance->Other System tables-> Remote System Tables-> Key Generation.

This link will explain in detail the concept.

Key generation is used in cases where the Key is not coming in from the Source systems. If MDM is creating the records, it can create the Record ID using the Key Generation. This key is then generated, will be then syndicated to the target systems from MDM.

And in your case, I think you are enabling the KEY Mapping feature of MDM. In this, the records are already having a primary ID and you are merging them. Then you can see the individual keys of both the records using the EDIT KEY MAPPING feature. The article will throw light on EDIT KEY MAPPING feature:

Finding Information of Merged Records with Help of Key Mapping:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/7051c376-f939-2b10-7da1-c4f8f9ee...

Now, Key Generation property in Remote systems will be used when you want MDM to generate the primary ID, such as the Vendor ID for ex. Then based on the range mentioned by you, MDM will generate the keys. If you do not want MDM to create any keys, you need to choose NONE. I guess this is the present setting for you.

Now for understanding the Qualified Ranges, go through the link below:

Master Data Management Syndicator-Using Qualified Ranges to Generate SAP Numbers :

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/807ce1ba-94c0-2a10-a398-afdfd813...

I guess the information mentioned above will be helpful for you.

Thanks & Regards

Nitin Jain