cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Only CMS of NWDI is used?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi! Gurus:

I have been using NWDI for almost 4 years (including JDI).

I ONLY use the CMS to move the tp.

I alomost never visited DTR and CBS.

My feeling is that CMS is enough for JAVA tp. How about XI tp which I did not do extensively.

Please help. Thanks a lot!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are correct CMS is enough for Java transports.

DTR is needed for developers to keep the source code;

CBS is used for central build of developers code and used by developers;

SLD is not part of NWDI, but has to be available to define tracks in CMS;

If you do not do any development, but just import and propagate SCs via CMS, you may not need to use CBS and DTR.

In current and future releases, SAP is offering integration of CMS into CTS, called One Transport or CTS+.

Shops, which have ABAP transport system configured, can do both Java and ABAP components transported via single CTS+ system

Hope this helps,

Slava

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ashley,

It looks like you are working most of the time as a NWDI Admin activities like translports and SLD. The CBS and DTR are more useful for Developers compare to the Admins. The developers need to work more on CSB and DTR when they have issues like build fail, issues with broken DC's , Invalid declared usages, activations failures, checkin failures, Development Component Assembly failures etc....

Please refer this blogs and explained step by step how to perform transports from DEV to Q to PRD systems.

Configuration of CMS in Central NWDI & SLD to transport XI objects:

Overview of Transition from Dev to QA in XI

For more information regarding the XI transports, please refer the Exchange Infrastructure section and there is lot of information available on how to perform transports in XI.

Thanks

Krishna