cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appliance of redo logs in heterogenous systems

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I have two SAP 4.7 systems. Both are on Oracle 9i. One system is in HP UX and the other system is in SUN Solaris. Rest all the configuarations are same. I want to use UX as the production system and Solaris as Disaster Recovery Software (DRS). Suppose UX system went down and I want to use Solaris as the main production box. In this scenerio is it possible to apply the redo logs in Solaris system which are originally generated in UX system. In a nutshell my query :- can I to apply redo logs generated in one system to another system where only difference between the two systems is the OS rest everything same.

Kindly do reply me as I m in a quandary.

Regards,

Tapan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I believe the only way to safely accomplish that is to use Oracle Streams - but according to note 105047 this is not permitted in the SAP environment.

Since HP-UX and Solaris are both Big Endian (assuming you're running Solaris on SPARC hardware) it should technically be possible.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Markus,

Thanks for your prompt reply. So it is technically possible as both are of 64 bit and use the Big Endian pattern. But for that we have to use oracle stream feature which is not recommended by SAP. Hence I should not go for it. Am I in the right conclusion?

Regards,

Tapan.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would test that first.

Oracle may use different blocksizes internally despite of the endianess. Even if you copy databases of the same endianess across different operating system you have to use transportable tablespace feature.

Streams is not only supported - it's not allowed

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Kindly get back to me once u are done with your test. I am eagerly waiting for your result .

Regards,

Tapan

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm not doing the tests - I would do them if I would want to implement that scenario

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, If you have to implement that scenerio then please share your experience.

Regards,

Tapan