cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BR*Tools Studio assistance / feedback

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

Those of you who are trying out / playing with the new SAP DBA tool (BR*Tools Studio), please place your experience in the forum.

I have installed BR*Tools Studio on a development instance in a dedicated server mode and trying to get hang of it. The product looks good but it is taking a while to get used to its functionality. The documentation provided is just basic to get started.

Issues I have are:

1. 500 Internal Server Error - java.lang.NullPointerException (logged frequently) - It has disappeared, not crashed for a while now, It could be related to memory resources on the server. relogging to it continues from the point it failed.

2. I have configured the instance to run as database user SYSTEM, but when I goto BR*Toos Wizard tab -> Database -> Tablespace, Datafiles, Control Files, Redolog Files. I am not able to view any of them. User SYSTEM has DBA and SAPDBA assigned.

All assistance will be useful.

TIA,

Cheers,

Nisch

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nisch,

Try to add the instance using user SAPSR3 (default sap db schema).

After that i hope you will be able to view tablespace and all other info.

Please let us know your status.

Regards,

Gagan Deep Kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gagan,

can you guide me how to add a remote instance,Please?

I'm using remote installation for BR*Tools.

Thanks

Sherif

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, I've the same symptom, I can't see any database information like tablespaces, datafiles and so on.

did you solved this problem ?

markus_maurer
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Nisch,

please let me take the opportunity and address the two points you mentioned:

It is indeed common for BR*Tools Studio to occasionally hit a 500 Internal Server Error: java.lang.NullPointerException. Up to now, we were not able to determine the root cause of this issue, yet we feel that it must have to do with paging and asynchronous memory calls, as the exception often shows up after longer idle periods. In particular, it does not reproduce, and cannot be addressed properly by the Studio. A side effect of the exception is that, while you need to close the browser window, the client is not proprely logged off from the Studio, so that it is still visible in the client overview of the server administration, until the next Studio server restart. I hope that we can still find a solution for this issue, but it has been around for a long time yet also in development.

It is also correct that there is a little design flaw when adding an instance to BR*Tools Studio. When you add an instance, the Studio will synchronize with the instance dictionary not before the next full sync point in time, so that you cannot see the instance tablespaces, data files etc. immediately. Depending on the settings, this might take up to 20 minutes. A work-around, at least for a dedicated server, is to restart the Studio server, as a full sync gets carried out immediately after server restart. This is also a point we will try to address in one of the upcoming patches.

I, too, would like to propose to keep this thread open to share common experience with the Studio. This will give you the chance to provide feedback, and I will try to keep on and share some insight into the Studio structure and behavior. Still, please post individual, hard installation or runtime issues in separate posts or open an OSS support call. — Thanks,

Best Regards,

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Markus, It is good to hear it straight from the horse's mouth.

Is there any release dates planned for BR*Tools Studio patches? Any detailed documentation available in order to create a case for resources to implement it in a multi-instance mode.

TIA,

Cheers,

Nisch

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Note: not intending to bash here!

> It is indeed common for BR*Tools Studio to occasionally hit a 500 Internal Server Error: java.lang.NullPointerException Up to now, we were not able to determine the root cause of this issue.

If that really nice looking application was only developed in WD-ABAP... (like other nice applications who do the same nasty things)

% find server?/log -type f | grep -v zip | xargs grep -i nullpointerexception | wc -l

sigh

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nisch,

Thanks For opening this forum .Hope it wil help us.

1)First problem seems to be specfic to you .You are on right track it may be memory resource and any other problem but not the general for BR*TOOLS.

Till Now its Cool Let's c

CHEERS.........

Regards,

Gagan Deep Kaushal