cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Create Planning Area Backups

Former Member
0 Kudos

I had to add new nav atts to my planning area and now need to create a backup. I am working in 5.0 and keep hitting a brick wall using the on-line SAP instructions. Does anyone have the exact steps?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, that is what I meant, added to a characteristic as an attribute, which in turn adds to the POS. I wanted confirmation on the current backup datasource.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have added the nav atts to the POS and as indicated in earlier messages, I did not have to deactivate it. My understanding is that if a backup is already created (ie backup cube has already been generated) all I have to do is regenerate the backup and switch on the nav att button in the back up. True?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joanne,

What do you mean by "added the nav atts to the POS". You don't add navigational attributes to POS. They unnecessarily blowup your no. of CVCs. You just have to add them to BW characteristic that is part of the POS.

I hope that's what you meant. There is no other way of adding a characteristic to POS without deactivating the planning area/POS.

Yes, if you already have a backup, then you just have to regenerate the datasource from planning area Menu Data extraction tools.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You need to add Nav attribute to existing characteristic of MPOS for that you need to deactivate the PA, MPOS, add new nav attribute to characteristic in MPOS, activate, generate CVCs again.

Please check below thread for steps :

Manish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manish,

You Don't have to deactivate your POS to add navigational attributes. You have to do that only to add new characteristic to MPOS. More over the navigational attributes are not included in the POS. The links you are pointing are about adding characteristics not navigational attributes. Navigational attributes are not part of CVCs but they appear in them as per the BW master data and are just pointers.

Example:

My MPS has Location, product, customer.

You want to add product group as a navigational attribute to Product. You just have to add the product group as a attribute and load the data. If you just want to change a navigational attribute value, it is called realigning navigational attributes. refer to the [sap help|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_scm50/helpdata/en/53/963f58d62c4537af344b10b54c2056/frameset.htm] for this.

Edited by: Visu Venkat on Nov 5, 2008 10:00 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As I understand, you are doing two different things. 1. Add navigational attributes and 2. Take backup.

Navigational attributes are not added to the planing area. They are added to the BW master data object and when you run Attribute change run for the master data object, they show up in your CVCs.

If you are just adding navigational attributes you need not take a backup and deactivate the planning area..just load them to BW master data object.

Instead of writing whole big procedure if you can tell me what exactly you are doing, it helps both of us.