cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deployment of Front End 7.10 by SMS

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are about to upgrade our Front End from 6.40 to 7.10. The deployment via installation server that we used before is now unacceptable, so we have opted for the SMS installation.

If the installation is started while the sapgui is not started on the machine, everything is ok, the old gui is uninstalled, the new one installed. But, if the gui is running, the installation continues and produces a strange result. The user can continue to work in SAP, apparently still in the old gui, the new version is installed but not active, and after the restart of the machine, it appears that now only the new gui is present. However in the Add/Remove programs I see two entries : SAP Front End and SAP Front End 7.10, the files seem to be mixed up, and uninstall on either of them removes SAP gui from the machine, but incompletely.

My question is generally, how you approached the sms installation and if anyone had the same problem.

Thanks,

A.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Unacceptable, because some of our installation servers are also domain controllers and it is now not allowed to have the account which runs the installer service be administrator on domain controllers, and without that the installation doesn't work.

We have over 1000 machines and cannot check the installation for each of them, we need an automated process and as I understand from my colleague, the sms installation cannot prevent the user from running gui while the installation is running.

Regards,

A.

Edited by: Aleksandra Lemajic on Nov 5, 2008 10:45 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you have over 1000 machines, you can install the "Installation server" on separate server, not domain controller i'm think it not be a problem... In any case installation in time when sapgui works it's not look's so good

Regards.

Private_Member_101989
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Try no minimize the risk deploying it during off-peak hours.

Or you can try:

IBM Tivoli (http://www-306.ibm.com/software/tivoli/)

Regards,

Jorge Diogo

Former Member
0 Kudos
We are about to upgrade our Front End from 6.40 to 7.10. The deployment via installation server that we used before is now unacceptable, so we have opted for the SMS installation.

Why you think is unacceptable ? Or it your enterprise politics? In any case you can check the process remotely and kill it ... Or start installation after PC is are rebooted .... Regards.