Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECC6 server running on HP-UX using Microsoft's AD to authenticate

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I hope someone can help me...i'm a little confussed !!!

We have an ECC6 server running on HP-UX 11.23 and would like to utilize Microsoft's AD to sync everyone's Username and password to SAP (user use their AD username and password to logon to SAP). We DON'T want to use SSO (long story) !!!

We don't really want to spend any money on third party products....is this possible???

Many thanks

Rob

1 REPLY 1

Former Member
0 Kudos

AFAIK, there is a way to hook the initial password from MS AD and use it for user registration on the ABAP side, but this is only for the initial password.

There is no way to synchronize the password between ABAP and MS AD and vis-versa. If there were, I am fairly sure it would be blocked (or made blockable) pretty soon after being found.

An alternate option (even if not the most modern one) is to authenticate the users on an EP portal first using their AD credentials, and from there issue SAP logon tickets for the ABAP system(s) they are authorized for and a portal iView to generate the SAPGUI session on the backend.

> We DON'T want to use SSO (long story) !!!

I went through a SSO evaluation this year as well and also have a headache from some of it (including our own internal hurdles), but in the end I was pleasantly surprised.

In the special case where your servers are running on Windows (I am also a "second class citizen" in that regard, as our systems are on UNIX) you cannot do a true passwordless SSO without 3rd party products.

Hope that helps a bit,

Julius