cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PRD to DEV homogeneous system copy (database refresh)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a client wishing to refresh their DEV system from PRD. I'm hoping someone can answer my question if I am to perform steps 1 and 2 below:

1. To address version history, export the tables from the old DEV client prior to performing the database restore from PRD:

As devadm from /usr/sap/trans/local/DEV run:

/sapmnt/DEV/exe/R3trans -v -w VERSION.explog VERSION_exp

This will create the export file /oracle/DEV/sapreorg/VERSION.dat

2. Do this step AFTER db refresh of DEV from PRD is complete and before any users log on:

To import version history into DEV, import the tables in the new DEV client.

As devadm from /usr/sap/trans/local/DEV run:

/sapmnt/DEV/exe/R3trans -v -w VERSION.implog VERSION_imp

Does anyone know what those commands actually do to the version history ? And is the code from previous ABAP versions still retrievable in DEV once the database refresh is completed and the process to re-import is complete ?

I have an ABAPer telling me that the commands above only exports the 'cofile' component of released transports. So when the database refresh from PRD to DEV is complete - all the DEV code is replaced with PRD code (I'm ok with that bit). But then when you run the import command above the 'cofile' component only contains information about changes to an object over a period of time (ie version history) via the objects 'released' transports.

So the net effect of 'version export', 'db restore' and 'version import' is that any objects created in the development system prior to this activity that were assigned to transports that were not released, are lost at the point where we restore the PRD database to DEV. Is this correct ?

TIA,

Sheryl.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

debasissahoo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sheryl,

you should have a look at the below note.

https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/130906

Regards,

Debasis.