Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tree UI Element - free structure with several node types

petr_novak
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want to create a tree in WD/Java (not a table tree), which consists of several node types almost freely organized in the tree.

- Node of one type can appear on different tree levels.

- Nodes of different types can appear in one level at once but in an arbitrary order independent on the node type, even on the top level.

Different node types in my case contain different menu structure (and Icon). The menu is the pain point.

It seams to me that:

- I have to model it using recursive context structure with just one recursion node.

- I can neither create several menu variants for one TreeNodeType nor address it from the context element.

- I can bind several TreeNodeTypes to the same (root) context node but I don't have a way to address the node type from the element.

How could I solve it? Could you help, please?

Thank you very much.

Petr

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

thomas_szcs
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Petr,

I would as well use a single node type bound to a recursive context structure. The problem with the menu could be solved by creating a menu that is just large enough to hold all required entries and setting their enabled attribute dynamically by context binding as well.

Another option would be to use dynamic programming and to add node types on demand in order to achieve the required order of items with their respective menu. In this case also the required context structure had to be created dynamically. Well, the many different node types and context nodes could make this solution quite complicated to maintain.

Best regards,

Thomas

petr_novak
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

thank you for the quick response. Unfortunately:

The problem with the enabling flag is that it just makes the option gray. The option would be irrelevant for a particular type and must not appear. Subsequently the enabling flag does not have visual impact on the submenu entry.

Dynamic representation of almost every tree branch in the meta-information and a number of TreeNodeTypes comparable with the number of the tree nodes to be able to bind it - is absurd if I have just 4 node types. This is how I understood the proposal. Is my understanding correct? I am looking for a solution equivalent to tree table variants, it does not have to be the same. Is there any possibility, please?

Thank you in advance. With regards

Petr

thomas_szcs
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Petr,

Yes, the second option is something to avoid by all means. It's more of a theoretical option.

The first way of having a single menu has the limitation as you pointed out. I wished there was a visible attribute for a menu item. Unfortunately, there's none. My advice would be to stick with this option or to radically change the interaction model.

Best regards,

Thomas

petr_novak
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

thank you for the response.

Just a little is missing to get standard proffesional solution working.

Let's see whether wie get this in future release.

With regards

Petr