cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System goes very slow after upgrade from SAP 4.7 to ECC 6.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Experts,

I am facing issue in my production server. I have upgraded my system from SAP 4.7 to ECC 6.0 with Oracle 10.0.2...but all my z reports in SAP and some std transactions are running now. it is taking lot of time to execute reports by date. MB51 also not executing by date.

pls help me

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Normally after the upgrade parameter/performance tuning is required from the application as well as from the database level.So please analyze the application performance(ST02/ST03N..etc) and database performance(ST04/DBACOCKPIT..etc) and identify the issue.

Also please carefully go through the Post-Upgrade section in the upgrade manual where it refers to some important SAP Notes w.r.t the parameter changes.

Regards,

Sam

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

0 Kudos

Hi to all,

My 2 cents.

First, not much information is provided.

I'd say that all cases I saw with general performance problems after upgrading oracle (I'm assuming that you have done this) are because the upgrade guide (and related notes) have not properly followed.

So Cheriyan Sam would win the price

I'll try to create something on the wiki.

But typical things (mentioned on the upgrade manual)

1) statistics. After the upgrade are required

-> data dictionary statistics

-> fixed tables statistics

-> system statistics

-> full refresh of all statistics

2) Parameters

3) Patches

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree with you in most cases that is probably that upgrade guide is not followed as should and notes neither what I saw after upgrading to Oracle 10 from 8i using R/3 4.5B was that everything was working as fast as it was in 8i but after upgrading to ECC 6.0 a transaction that usually worked for 10 minutes jumped to 25 minutes (all in 32bits).

After upgrade to ECC 6 same Z transactions were suffering from bad abap code like select * statements and so on. We fixed it going to 64 bits, doing code changes (SAP recomended way to deal whith this) and index creation but even after that (using more powerfull hardware) the transactions never worked at the same speed they worked in 4.5B not even after Oracle parameters and SAP parameters were set as per SAP recomendation.

I'm not sure but post upgrade bad performance is probably because ECC 6 needs more resources than previous versions, what do you think?

0 Kudos

Hi AC,

I'm no saying that following the guide will solve "all" problems.

fist - I'm looking only to oracle level. Upgrading oracle and nothing else should not bring a system to their knees. I found "normal" behaviour changes (No rule optimizer, new CBO, new statistics, CBO using CPU costing and so on), but in General, bugs aside, should not be a global performance problem.

Now, we also have a SAP upgrade, there are lots of other things involved, including code changes or behaviour changes.

I cannot talk about that.

It is true that the upgrade to ECC will require more resources.

As the OP posted on the Oracle forum, I'm assuming (a bit naive) that the OP has detected an increase on the DB response time (in ST03)

So, lets start with the common issues, and from there try to go down.

But in the forum there are a lot of things that cannot be done, and in some cases support has to be involved.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I agree with you in most cases that is probably that upgrade guide is not followed as should and notes neither what I saw after upgrading to Oracle 10 from 8i using R/3 4.5B was that everything was working as fast as it was in 8i but after upgrading to ECC 6.0 a transaction that usually worked for 10 minutes jumped to 25 minutes (all in 32bits).

4.5B is/was, compared to ERP, a very tiny system. Did you try to evaluate (e. g. using SE30) where the time is being used? Was it really only the database?

Markus

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

over 48 hours since venkatesh suram made his last reply...

it looks like a hit an run.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

In 4.5 I did use ST03 and OEM ( Oracle Enterprise Manager )for response times and after upgrade used again ST03N and OEM (I like this a lot) where I found expensive SQL statements. Also found some recomendations (in OEM) and followed them.

I did not used SE30 for evaluation. After SAP did the three sessions for upgrade going live check they recomended some SAP and Oracle Parameters that did help a little bit but the major performance problems remained so then, as a last recomendation, they told us to move on to 64 bits and this did help a lot. I also then changed from RAID 5 to RAID 1+0 and things worked a little better in I/O.

Finally the abap code was modified to get better select statements and from that point, transactions worked faster although not as fast as in 4.5 but as you said, this should be because 4.5 is really small when compared to ERP 6.

All sugestions for future upgrades will be really appreciated because looks like I will be doing some other upgrades in the near future.

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you using 64 bits Operating System, I was in one upgrade where the same happened and even after an SAP upgrade going live check recomendations, the expert at SAP recomended to go to 64 bits so we went to 64 bits and everything went as before.

I also did fixed another production server that after upgrade the whole system was too slow I did not do the upgrade but recomended to go to 64 bits and after that everybody was happy again.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

please share:

hardware used

OS

number of CPU

CPU speed

SAP profiles

initSID.ora

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat

please set the oracle parameter as per the below mentioned SAP note

even I had the same Issue ,I did a detailed analysis of Oracle Parameter and I did the changed according to the SAP note ,there after I

Note 830576 - Parameter recommendations for Oracle 10g

i recommand the go through the following link which throw some light on the issue

Regards

George Varghese

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you adapt your Oracle parameters for 10.2? Are you database statistics up-to-date?

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply.

But could you pls elaborate more parameters..because before creating production system, I prepared my quality system which is working ver properly. also there are no issues in db.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you done the Oracle Upgrade along with the ECC6 Upgrade? or 4.7 was running on the current oracle version?.

You can't compare it with your QAS as the data load & user load is very high on the production system

Regards,

Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi venkatesh,

Update the database stastitics,run t-code sgen.

Regards

Ashok

Former Member
0 Kudos

Experts,

I am facing issue in my production server. I have upgraded my system from SAP 4.7 to ECC 6.0 with Oracle 10.0.2...but now system has gone very slow also all my z reports in SAP and some std transactions are not running now. it is taking lot of time to execute reports by date. MB51 also not executing by date.

pls help me