cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when adding RAM to a UNIX system in terms of settings (parameters, oracle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

What has to be done when adding RAM to a UNIX system in terms of settings (parameters, oracle parameters...).

We are using HP-unix(if this is of any importacy) on a cluster system(DB and application server) with oracle as database

Thank you in advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thx Marcus.

What about SAP parameters?. Which needs to be changed?

(Do you agree all should be done only on Database server wher new RAM will be installed?)

sebastian_sebaraj
Participant
0 Kudos

Read teh following Notes

425207 - SAP memory management-current parameter ranges.pdf

146289 - Parameter Recommendations for 64-Bit SAP Kernel.pdf

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes Marcus (sorry I did not mentioned).

The system (espetialy database ) is swappingv(therefore additional RAM)

. Can you let me know which SAP and which ORACLE parameters should be increased(I gess only on RAMupgraded DB server)?

Thank you in advance very very much

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The system (espetialy database ) is swappingv(therefore additional RAM)

Ok.

. Can you let me know which SAP and which ORACLE parameters should be increased(I gess only on RAMupgraded DB server)?

That question is not so easy to answer, as always "it depends" (I know, that´s not what you want to hear..)

Check

Note 789011 - FAQ: Oracle memory areas

Note 619876 - Oracle9i: Automatic PGA Memory Management (also valid for 10g)

Note 830576 - Parameter recommendations for Oracle 10g

Oracle is a complex beast...

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

It is first time I am assigned to this kind of task.

Where could I find oracle and specially SAP parameters which need to be adjusted.

As we are using application and database server(load balancing with logon groups), we will upgrade only database server with 6-8GB of RAM (this will be done by others). Oracle version is 10.2.0.2.0, operating system is HP-UX (machines 9000/800)

I assume also all other task will be performed on database server. So again which SAP parameters needs to be adjusted and with which ammounts

Thank you very very much

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Where could I find oracle and specially SAP parameters which need to be adjusted.

This depends on your requirements.

> I assume also all other task will be performed on database server. So again which SAP parameters needs to be adjusted and with which ammounts

You can either adjust the memory to the database alone, you can adjust it to SAP alone or you can share the additional memory for the database and SAP application.

The question is: Did you have any bottlenecks that you want to solve by adding more memory?

Markus

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To make use of the memory you have to reconfigure Oracle memory parameters and, if necessary, the SAP parameters too.

What was the initial reason to upgrade the memory?

Markus