cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SRM MDM catalog - PDF file is not displayed in details item

Former Member
0 Kudos

in MDM i have added a pdf file in one record in order to check the displaying of the pdf file on the SRM-MDM catalog :

- i do the serach based on the supplier part number

- i get the record

- i click on the record to view the details i get error:

the summarry of eeror is the follwoing :

"While processing the current request, an exception occured which could not be handled by the application or the framework.

If the information contained on this page doesn't help you to find and correct the cause of the problem, please contact your system administrator. To facilitate analysis of the problem, keep a copy of this error page. Hint: Most browsers allow to select all content, copy it and then paste it into an empty document (e.g. email or simple text file). "

How we can display record details with the PDF file?

once i remove the pdf file from MDM, i get the details in SRM-MDM catalog without any error.

Thansk for your help.

Adil

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Tamas_SAP
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Adil,

in SRM-MDM 2.0 SP04 Patch2 the PDF is only showed as link! After click on the link you can see the document. This was change due to performance issues and won't be changed.

Regards,

Tamá

matthias_kasig2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tamas et al,

I also need to import pdfs into MDM. IN Positin Details on the Webfrontend I can see the url of the pdf as you described here. But it's not an active link - not clickable - how do I get it active (clickable)?

Kind regards,

Matthias

matthias_kasig2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tamas,

we upgraded to SRM-MDM 2.0 SP04 PL11. Still with the pdf I only get a Link displayed - but you can't click it. So I have to copy paste it to a new Browser window - this is not very handy. You said MDM could provide a clickable link...

any info welcome,

kind regards, matthias

former_member544585
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Matthias,

You can store your PDF files externally (not in SRM-MDM repository), and link to them with the Hyperlinks qualified lookup. Refer to SAP Note 1077701 - SRM-MDM Catalog - FAQ.

Cheers,

Serguei

matthias_kasig2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Serguei,

good idea - should have come about this workaround by myself. Can't give points as this is not my thread - so you did a a brave job for the sdn community, humanity and world piece.

Still I have to say about the normal mdm possibilities concerning this: rubbish, rubbish, rubbish

kind regards, matthias

former_member544585
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Matthias,

Happy to serve the world peace :).

As far as MDM catalog capabilities, you should not forget that this product was never designed with e-catalog in mind. SAP adapted MDM for use as e-Catalog in SRM, gave it web front-end. But they will never be able to meet the full scope of market needs with this approach. Especially because MDM is used for other functions, which take its development into other directions. And, for sure, some things will remain painful, like upgrades/patching or a simple function to sort search results on price which they only just made available (and in a quite cumbersome way as well).

I can very well forsee SAP making another change to the SRM catalog technology in several years (perhaps through another acquisition). Requisite-CCM-MDM-???... Notice the progression from the development and market position perspective:

1. Requisite - best-of-breed partner product, SAP didn't have much say on development side; they eventually got rid of it.

2. CCM - fully developed in-house; with only 1-2 years in development was never going to compete with best-of-breed; got rid of it.

3. MDM - acquired technology some years in-house; not best-of-breed catalog solution but close enough to adapt for e-catalog use; also being developed for other functions. My prediction: will have to discontinue the e-catalog branch due to conflicts with other development as well as not fully satisfying the SRM market.

4. ??? - My prediction: new best-of-breed e-catalog acquisition; will adapt for SRM (and perhaps CRM), and continue developing in-house with the only focus on e-catalog functionality. 3 strengths: best-of-breed + single focus + freedom of in-house development. Requisite, CCM or MDM had a maximum of 2 of these strengths.

It's good to remember my e-Business MBA days sometimes...:)

Cheers,

Serguei

Answers (0)