cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number of BGD Processes

sap_cohort
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, I just read that it doesn't make sense to have more BGD processes than the number of CPU's that you have on any given system.

So to be 100% correct, right now I have 8 BGD Processes, so I should only have 3?

Can anyone just verify this for me?

Also, I think in BI if you have more than 2 parallel processes 1 extra is used to control the others.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kenneth,

you can have 1.5 bgd for 1 cpu means

2 cpu = 3 bgd

regards / Jay

sap_cohort
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

OK, Thanks for the information.

Does anyone know where I can find any real documentation on this specific topic? So now I have 2 scenarios. 1=1 and 1 = 1.5.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There are no absolute rules to follow for work processes numbers of each category.

This is a tuning parameter : you have to observe your production system with its specific load and adjust the processes to optimise the performance and load capacity.

For example we have 2 R/3 production systems with the same hardware (1 CI server and 5 app servers) with nearly the same database size.

The first one has 8 batch processes, the second has 21 batch processses.

The first system has 4 UPD processes, the second one has 16 UPD processes.

Why ? Because the 2 load profiles are completely different !

1 batch process per processor (or processor core nowadays) is a good start for beginning.

Regards,

Olivier

sap_cohort
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks, I guess I needed to make sure there wasn't some hard and fast rule where the system will only utilize 1 BGD process per cpu or something like that. Some people are saying there is a rule and some are not. So it looks like multiple BGD processes can utilize 1 CPU at the same time.

Thanks for the information.

Former Member
0 Kudos

One other thing I would recommend is using SM50 to see how much CPU time is being used by your background processes (Menu: List -> CPU). If is fairly common to see background processes with zero CPU time meaning that they have not been used since system startup (and hence, are candidates for being removed or assigned as a different process).

Hope that helps.

J. Haynes

debasissahoo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you please refer where you read that?

I've an idea that in windows based system the no of workprocess determined by the no of processors.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/02/962817538111d1891b0000e8322f96/frameset.htm

where as other OS, its to be determined by the no of users. in both the cases, note that, each work process required memory.

For BW systems, follow the note

SAP Note Number: 621400 - Number of required BTC processes for process chains

Regards,

Debasis.

sap_cohort
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, I read it in the same exact note you are referring to.

CAUTION:

Note that a higher degree of parallel processing and therefore more batch processes only make sense if the system has sufficient capacity (CPUs). You must use approximately one CPU per batch task.

Please comment if you feel I am wrong on this one...

Can anyone else verify this information? 1 BGD per CPU?