cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Criteria using Smartforms or Sapscripts

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends.!

Please let me know the criteria to use or analyze forms to decide in use Sapscript or Smartform.

I've read some about smartforms, but never used, I only have used sapscript.

Thanks in advance

LFCM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Another criteria for deciding: go with what your client is used to. As they usually have some abap trained personel, and some minor changes to the forms might be made by them, it's usually better to program in what they are used to, so that they need your services again only for serious jobs and not when they need one column 1 space to the right.

This shows respect for the client, which is a nice bonus.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gustavo:

Good.!

Thanks

Luis

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The Following are the differences :-

a) Multiple page formats are possible in smartforms which is not the case in SAPScripts

b) It is possible to have a smartform without a main window .

c) Labels cannot be created in smartforms.

d) Routines can be written in smartforms tool.

e) Smartforms generates a function module when activated.

Contributed by : SAP ABAP/4 Programming, Basis Administration, Configuration Hints and Tips

-

f) Unlike sapscripts (RSTXSCRP), you cannot upload/download Smartform to your local harddisk.

It was said that it was provided in CRM 3.0 version, but not available in R/3. You can download smartforms into Local PC in a XML format. In the same way you can upload this XML format into Smartform. From the smartform editor itself you can call download option, if you are working in CRM 3.0 environment.

In R3 also, you can download into XML format. However, it's not sure about uploading. Refer to the program 'SF_XSF_DEMO'.

In 4.7 Enterprise, other have seen this utlity which is completey missing in 4.6c. There is functionality to downlaod a complete form or only a particular node. (Utilities -> Download form). It will create a XML file and save it in the hard disk.

For others, if you want to download/upload the Smartforms source, you will need the help from the Basis people. What you can do is to create a Transport and then FTP down to your local harddisk. When you need the Smartform source in another system, you have FTP up the Smartforms file back to the SAP server. Finally, the Basis team, will tp it into your system.

g) The protect and endprotect command in sapscript doesn't work with smartforms. For example on a invoice: First data of position no 80. is printed on page one, other data of position no 80 is printed on page 2. And there's nothing you can do about it. Actually, there is something you can do about it. By using a folder node and checking the 'protect' checkbox, everything in that folder will be page protected.

i) The main difference is that SAP script is client-dependant, while smartform is independent. Also there are some advanced and intreractive features available in smartforms.

You can use an External subroutine-call in sapscript editor like:

I fouund this at http://www.sap-img.com/smartforms/smartform-sapscripts.htm

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sarath,

Look, i have a doubt.

I'm in charge of build a lot of forms. In fact, my experience is using only sapscripts. A sapscript uses a driver program as smartforms does. When i read about smartform, i see that a driver program also must be done.

I used RFFOUS_C (for printing checks) when execute it, it shows a lot of parameters and select-options, as you know.

Do i need to build a driver program, using smartforms, with the same complexity as sapscript driver program?

I see very helpful by now the new strategy of SAP using smartforms, in fact i can execute the new smartform in a separated way and of course it's very easy, i like it.

When you uses a sapscritps, you need to configure some parts inside SPRO, you know, these parts are important to identify, when, how and why to print some forms (correspondence). That's what i mean.

How does the smartform will communicate with settings of SAP to print specifically data for checks, i.e. ?

Using F110 you need to provide several parameters, and after payment execution i can see a form printed using sapscripts. In fact, the program used is RFFOUS_C with "a lot" of parameters.

I was trying to print the same form (cheque) via smartforms and i couldn't pass over this point.

How the F110 Tx. will use my "own program" with the same functionality ?

PD: Sorry for my english

Again, thanks in advance.!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Luis,

Yes my friend. The beauty of smartforms is that it does not require a complex print program/driver program.

As you know when you execute the smartform you will get a function module. Usually i practice that i write a simple print program which call the function module created when i executed the smartform. And configure these two (simple print porgram and smartform name) where ever required in SPRO or NACE....you konw what i mean!.

Now its totally up to you that you want to write whole logic in the print program and pass those parameters, structures and tables to the smartform FM or you just want to pass some important information to the FM parameters and do the logic in the smartform.

I am not sure if i have answered you question.

Please let me know if you need any other information.

Regards,

Sharat.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sharat

Thanks again...

So, what i see is that i can build a driver program as strong as i need, somehow i can decide to build my own forms usign following criteria to decide the tool to use:

1. I can assign my "own" programs (smartforms) to any SAP module configuration to print any existing form.

2. What i see is, if there are minor changes in a form, i prefer use standard sapscrits if a smartform related does not exist.

3. If i need create one from scratch, i can use smartforms in a easy and quick way.

4. In my case, (print checks) i've decided to use standard sapscript. Even now i've finished the first one since yestarday. (hehehe, there were minor changes..!)

5. I've reviewed smartform tools and i like so much. I could see a easiest way to build up forms from scratch.

What I can see is a matter of time and ease. So, in my case, i need to practice the new tool to get more criteria to decide to use sapscript or smartform.

So, what do you think about criteria.?

did i miss something?

Regards

Luis