cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OLE object problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm trying to make a report with OLE object in CR9 on XP Professional SP3. There is an image file "file_01.bmp". I place it in the report from "Insert"->"OLE Object" and chose "Create from file" with file path (not as icon, as image). But what I get in the report is black square with "file_01.bmp" caption below, and so in the report preview area. Double-clicking on it causes Object Packager warning.

What should I do to get an image (linked with a disk file) in report?

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am having a simular issue as well. I finally got this to work on my laptop (where I have Crystal XI installed). I can also access the report from another computer with Crystal Runtime installed and it does update the graphic file as well, however, I cannot get this to work on my desktop computer. I have temporarily installed Crystal XI on the desktop to test this. Both Laptop and desktop have windows XP SP3 and most of the same applications installed. Here is what happens:

1) When I open the report, I get a message "Some Links could not be updated becasue thier sources are presently unavailable"

2) If I select the Links button I get a dialog that shows me the .bmp file.

3) I then select the Open Source button and I get a message "Failed to launch server application"

4) I open the report again and this time I select the Change Source and a dialog comes up asking me to select the source file.

5) I then select the source file and I get this message "Invalid Source:Do you want to correct it?"

6) I then select the Yes button, but nothing happens

The bmp file was created with Paint and Paint is registered for bmp files.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

Have you tried to insert the image directly ? Insert--Image then select the image from desk. You can also specify the path of the image by right click on the image and go in format graphic --picture tab and click on graphic location X-2 and specity the path of your image.

Example : "c:\test.bmp"

Hope this will help you.

Thanks,

Sastry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

Inserting image directly works fine, but I need an OLE object because my report uses dynamically generated image from an application.

It's kinda weird, but I have no "graphic location" on picture tab...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

Where the image is located ? Is it in local hard desk or pulling from network drive? while specifying path of your image have linked the image to your report ?

Thanks,

Sastry

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is located in local hard disk drive. I've tried to link the image, still no luck.

It seems like the problem is with Windows XP configuration (Object packager). I've tried to link a bitmap on Windows 2000 and it works fine - there is an image preview and it can be opened with mspaint.exe. But I need to run my report on XP...

Edited by: Alex Petrov on Oct 30, 2008 2:35 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

CR9 has not tested on Windows XP SP3. As you said there could be some problem with OS Object Packager.

Try to upgrade CR9 to CR XI R2 or CR 2008 or you may have to inser the image directly in your report.

Thanks,

Sastry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Sastry.

But I think there could be another problems with my application and CR Runtime (I use peplus.cpp now).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Alex !!

If you feel that this question was answered please make this post is answered.

Thanks,

Sastry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, after few hours I've solved the problem - the mspaint.exe was not registred as OLE automaition server on my PC.

Once again, thanks Sastry!

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem. I can get a jpg or bmp file to update dynamically by specifying a path name and changing the image to test. when the rpt is refreshed, the image is updated. However, this does not work with .doc files. I go through the same process and the original document is still in view and will not update to any changes made to it outside of crystal, unless I right click and edit the object.

I need to have the report generated automatically as Crystal is advertised to handle this functionality. Please provide guidance to get this feature to work properly.