Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS coding mask

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have the following issue and need your expertise:

When creating a WBS, the system does not check or validate the length of the WBS. The Structure length SL is on, and the coding mask is defined as below

Coding mask = -00000-XXXXX (Proj Id = 2)

Somehow I can create a WBS element with following length:

AA-08001-10

Why the system does not validate the length of the WBS element? Suppose to XXXXX (5 digits instead of 2)How can I fix this problem?

Thanks

Edited by: Tin Nguyen on Oct 29, 2008 6:47 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI

When u specify theat the Proj id =2 , and also SL is checked , in this case u will be able to create WBS with only 2 characters which u are specifying in PRJID

so the WBS created wil be AA, BB etc what u r getting right , u will not be able to Enter AAA or A with SL checked.

If u want to restrict the Codeing Mask to the WBS length chech "EDIT" in OPSK so that the system will allow only Proj Id which u have defined OPSJ.

Hope this will help you.

Regards

Hemant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Coding mask = -00000-XXXXX (Proj Id = 2)

The X in a coding mask means an alpha-numeric whilst the 0 means numeric only.

When you enter '10' in the 'XXXXX' section, the system does not interpret it as pure numeric and will not add leading zeros. This is only done in your '00000' section.

When you created your project, the system interpreted the '10' as characters i.e. '1" and '0' followed by 3 spaces.

You would need to define your coding mask as -00000-00000.

Warning - since you have already created a project, the system will not let you change the coding mask from "X" to "0". It will check if any projects already exist for that coding mask and give you an error. You need to delete/archive all projects with starting with "AA" in your case beforehand.

Regards

Stuart

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the information but you do not answer the main question:

Why SAP does not validate the lenght of WBS element based on the coding mask? i.e

AA-00000-XXXXX coding mask

I can create a WBS element

AA-01111-A1

the system saved this incomplete WBS element. I already sent SAP a note asking for verification. I appreciate for your input. Below is SAP answer:

I´m afraid that the check you are searching is not delivered

in the standard.

The system allows to save incomplete sections in the database:

- incomplete numerical sections are saved with leading zeros

- incomplete alphanumerical sections are saved with leading spaces

You may consider using a validation in this case. Please review the

corresponding documentation and transaction OPSI. Most probably, you

will need to code your own exit to perform this check.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am sorry. I did not describe clearly. PrjID = 2 means the project Id has 2 positions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You have defined your Project ID as 2, so your project should start with 2. For ex - 2-00000-XXXXX not with AA.

Hope it helps.

Arya