cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM or Item Details iView - Parent ID validation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello dear experts,

I need to find a way to do validation on a field that is entered in the Item Details iView as a free text. This field should contain the Parent record ID. In other words, the entered text (number) needs to be checked against the main table (in our case - Customers) and if the record exists - saving allowed. If not - return an error message.

1. I wonder if this is achievable using the MDM validations, as in this case it's being validated for existence against the main table.

2. If I have to do custom validations at the portal, using APIs (and this is more likely). We are using MDM 5.5 SP05 where the Item Details iView does not support custom eventing upon Save. Is there another approach that I can take?

3. Is there a standard event raised by the Item Details iView SP05 (not a custom one) that my Web Dynpro can subscribe to and do the validation.

4. Even if I capture the "Save button click event", can I actually prevent from saving until I do my validations?

How would that be done if we upgrade to SP06 and have custom eventing? Any examples or walkthroughs would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Boris Todorov

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Boris,

Checking for an existing record when creating a new record dynamically with an error message does not seem to be feasible with the MDM Validations.

As for doing this we need to be taking in to account all the possible values that a user can enter.

The validation should be contain a check for all values preexisting in the MDM repository so that any value similar to any one is entered a search will take place on that key word and display the error message.

This does not seem likely if we have too many records in MDM repo.

The alternate solution would be use a Search iview.an end user can search for the existance of that record before saving it in MDM.

The other solution would be customizattion but howfar this can meet the exact solution i am not very sure.

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

Answers (0)