cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDB ODBC connection from local desktop

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you please suggest how to establish the ODBC connection from Local desktop to SAP databse server which is running maxdb database?

Do i need to install maxdb odbc driver in my local xp desktop?

after installaing how to test the connection?

how to find data source name? and which port needs to open to connect db server.

Actually i need to have select/update/delete access to few ztables from SAP system.

Please help me to establish the connection.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lars,

Thanks for the update.You mean I have to install MaxDB client software in my local pc for to connect DB server using ODBC?

When i go to ODBC connection it ask me data source name , how to find data source name?

My database SID name MPD. is that same as data source name?

I haveto use access alwys z tables, so do i need any authentication username/password for to access theses tables?

What port needs to open to connect ?

Please suggest.

- lisa

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Thanks for the update.You mean I have to install MaxDB client software in my local pc for to connect DB server using ODBC?

Yes, you've to do that.

> When i go to ODBC connection it ask me data source name , how to find data source name?

> My database SID name MPD. is that same as data source name?

No. The ODBC data source name is just the name of the ODBC connection definition. It can be the same as your SID or something completely different.

You just have to choose it when you define the ODBC connection and remember it, when you want to use it.

> I haveto use access alwys z tables, so do i need any authentication username/password for to access theses tables?

Sure.

Hmm... know what? Please read the blog I posted in my last reply.

Accessing the data in your Netweaver database just via ODBC the way you're heading will very likely bypass the security concept of your company.

Compliance? Out of the window! Security? Gone.

So better check what you are doing here and if it fits to what you want to do.

> What port needs to open to connect ?

And again - read the documentation! [Ports and Protocols of the X Server| Ports and Protocols of the X Server].

regards,

Lars

TTK
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Lisa

SQLStudio is an ODBC-application. I.e. once SQLStudio is installed on your computer, all necessary setup for running an ODBC client is done.

With SQLStudio you can select tables of your MaxDB. The standard port is 7210, the driver, SQLStudio includes, is registered as SQLSTUDIOODBC. With the ODBC Data Source Administrator (see Control Panel -> Admin), you can define a DSN. Of course, you can install the ODBC driver separately.

I hope, this describes the technical points detailed enough.

However, I'd like to stress, that accessing the database directly might lead to severe problems.

Lars listed a lot of them thoroughly, and his concerns are fully justified.

Regards Thomas

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lisa,

> Can you please suggest how to establish the ODBC connection from Local desktop to SAP databse server which is running maxdb database?

Actually, the fact that you've to ask these questions really points out that you should not do this at all.

See [Questions to SAP Support: Is ODBC access to the database a good idea?|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/9742] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken]; for more on that.

> Do i need to install maxdb odbc driver in my local xp desktop?

Sure! You want to use a MaxDB client software (ODBC) with your program on your desktop, therefore you'll need to have the software installed there.

> after installaing how to test the connection?

> how to find data source name? and which port needs to open to connect db server.

Don't get this wrong, but RTFM ... [MaxDB Documentation - ODBC Manual|http://maxdb.sap.com/doc/7_6/a1/f3733c04e67247e10000000a11402f/content.htm]

> Actually i need to have select/update/delete access to few ztables from SAP system.

Hmm... do you need to do this only once or twice or should that happen more often?

Perhaps you are better off by simply using DB Studio or SQL Studio for that.

Anyhow - good luck,

Lars