cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MII Interaction with COM Ports??

Former Member
0 Kudos

We're currently writing some applications which need to interact with local COM ports to write information to a Zebra printer and to retrieve scale weights from a scale head interface.

Can the PATH parameter of either the Text Loader or Write File action block pull or push information to a COM port? If so, what's the syntax?

Any other thoughts on how to accomplish this either through BLS or irpt / Javascript?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Randy Lintz

Foster Farms

Livingston, California

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Will NW / MII block ActiveX controls from being loaded in html/irpt files? I have a developer in our group who wrote a small ActiveX dll to allow for sending a text string to a COM port but it won't seem to load when I insert the OBJECT tag into my irpt file.

Thanks again,

Randy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Randy, the best way at present is to use a configurable OPC server (Kepware is highly recommended) that can communicate with the scale, barcode reader, etc...and you can link it to MII using the OPC UDS (version 4.0 recommended).

Soon, there will be a new connectivity option available for MII, which will allow you to automatically initiate MII business logic whenever a new value is received from the scale, or a message from a serial port/TCPIP port, and so on. Contact John Schaefer at SAP for more details.

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To that effect John has a sticky post at the top of the forum for Plant Connectivity ramp-up interest: [Event and Subscription based MII connectors|;

Regards,

Jeremy