cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11.5 and the UDS IP21 Problem Continues

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am re-opening this issue in hopes that 11.5 users will get some additional ideas on this problem. Plus I am going to vent a little! I also understand there has been a OSS opened on this issue as well.

Ok this is turning into a real pain in the you know what.

Here is the landscape at Air Products. We have 5 xMii servers all utilizing UDS (appx 15 each) against a multitude of IP21s. Of course we have scheduled transactions utilizing the connectors against the UDSs. Everytime one of two scenarios occur the connectors fail because the UDS did not restart.

1. When the IP21 is restarted

2. When a MS security patch is applied to the IP21 server. This occurs monthly

If either 1 or 2 occurs, You are telling me SAP's fix for this is to login to each of our five servers and manually restart each UDS instance. Oh and by the way, I won't know when 1 or 2 will occur so we could miss data for up to two days which means after I restart all 75 instances I will then have to go in and patch the data that was supposed to be processed had the connectors been working.

I think I understand that the UDS restart method/mode (not sure which) is enabled for Mii 12 and beyond, but really fail to understand why all the 11.5 users were left out in the cold.

SAP this is a real problem that needs to be fixed for the 11.5 community and fixed quickly!!!!!

In the interim, Can someone explain to me how to automate the UDS restart which will not involve upgrading to 12.0

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Roger

This bug was corrected in SP06

Please check note 1259574

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rick,

That is truly the key issue...

Since that is not the case... For each of the five Mii servers we have I will have to write a transaction that will query each dataserver and test whether records are returned. If not then issue a reconnect method using the same query dataserver combination. Of course this trans will need to be scheduled to run about every 10 mins to be affective. As a alternative just issue a reconnect against all the dataservers.

Isn't the Persist Connection when true suppose to take care of the above scenario?

Thanks for keeping a eye on this Rick.

Roger DeWeese

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rick & Jeremy,

You guys are confusing the crap out of me. A earlier thread regarding this issue revealed that the developers of the UDS could not provide the functionality that is outlined in the UDS help regarding the Modes and Methods revolving around UDS restart due to compatibality issues with IP21(????).

Then, according to a earlier post in this thread by Davison, this problem is supposed to be fixed in xMii 11.5 SP06 and UDS SP02. Are you guys telling me that this fix only applies to UDS OPC and not OLEDB side.

Is the problem fixed or not?

Roger DeWeese

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Roger,

The OleDB UDS for IP21 supported the Service modes, but in 11.5 the MII query side prevented it from working (you could make the URL request like the help docs showed but java would never send it).

MII 11.5 SP06 includes a correction to allow the query requests to go from java to the UDS, similar to what already works with version 12.0.

Regards,

Jeremy

Known 11.5 Issue: https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1130989

11.5 SP06: https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1259574

Former Member
0 Kudos

...but back to the core issue: why doesn't the UDS just automatically validate the connectcion and reconnect if needed?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

For Automatically Reconnecting you can access Advanced Mode, choose View | Advanced Mode from the SAP xMII UDS Admin Console.

Select the property Automatically Reconnect - If you set this property to true, the SAP xMII UDS automatically tries to connect to the OPC data server if the connection is lost.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Raman

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That would be nice, but considering that IP21 uses OleDB and not OPC....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jeremy - wouldn't it make sense to add the same logic to the OLEDB UDS that exists in the IDBC connector (connection validation to ensure you get a "fresh" and working connection)?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Roger, in my view the issue needs to be addressed at the UDS level. It should be responsible for managing reconnection on its own. There will always be situations where the UDS simply cannot connect (e.g. when the IP21 system is restarting), and those need to be dealt with via error handling in your transactions.

However, you should never need to manually stop/start the UDS's. Connection management must be a built-in part of the UDS's. But that's just my view.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Davison,

Great news...

The last word there were compatibility issues between 11.5 and IP21. Guess those got resolved.

Anyway I can't seen to locate 11.5 sp06 on the download site. I can find sp05 but already got that.

Roger