cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussion forum for Enterprise Asset Management

0 Kudos

Hello,

Enterprise Asset Management is a very important topic that invovles using varied solutions from SAP like ERP, BW, EP, xAPPS etc.

I also is a cross industry topic very useful to many of the customers as well as partners.

Presently people are discussing this topic in either ERP forum or PLM forums. Can you kindly open a new forum that has EAM related topics.

Regards

Hemant

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member374
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hemant,

Wow, do you have an Asset Management distribution list that you send your request to? Or how were you able to get so many other SDNers to join you within a couple of hours?

Quite impressive, for many of them it was their first post, some have even registered today. Welcome to SDN and I mean this sincerely. I wish my request would get such backing that fast.

You say that so far these questions have been posted either in the ERP or in the PLM forums. In the PLM forum I found only two threads that covered Asset and only as a description what PLM includes.

If you check the statistics of these two forums it is way below the rest of SDN. We are proud that on average the median time to first reply to a forum post is below 30 minutes. In the ERP forum it currently needs 9.5 hours for the first reply to be posted and PLM is off the charts. After 30 days on average there are 12% of all SDN forum questions open. ERP has 28% and PLM has even 48% or half of all questions unanswered. Not a good sign.

Now there is not a lot of activity happening in these two forums: ERP having 6 posts and PLM only 1.5 posts per day versus 450 posts in the ABAP forum.

That leads me to believe that there is lots of room in the ERP forum for many more Asset posts and the answers to these posts.

Our problem is, that the list of forums is already very long and we would like to have critical mass in all of them. That has not happened yet in ERP or PLM. To create a new EAM forum would further thin out the posts in the ERP forum.

Once we have reached activity close to other forums we can talk about splitting ERP into smaller entities.

Until then we rather leave it as it is.

Let me know your thoughts, Mark.

0 Kudos

Hello Mark,

Thanks for complements. I have not sent mail to any distribution list but talk to only two friends

My opinion of running such forums is that it works only and only if there is diehard person which bring in interest not only to start but continuously work on it to make sure that people find something to talk about. It has to be done in waves at the frequency that matches with decay in interest.

I think the reason for good response for ABAP is because you have called SDN is a developers network and not SAP solution network. This is just my hunch.

Other option is to use SAS, this also is a forum which is supporting only sales people.

I know that presently we have about 150 consultants implementing quite a few projects in ASIA and they donot have any forum. They are not internal but externals some of them independent. Most of these consultant are die hard EAM people, like all maintenance guys they love to talk about how they fixed up things. But they unfortunately donot have any place to do it.

As you can see from initial response we have people from development team and internal consultant (Not external because till the forum is created I donot want to create high expectations). This is a real good combination for EAM topic because of the kind of solution we have, it needs good development person to understand why of many topics.

Your assumption that it we open one more forum, the ERP forum will get thinned out is not correct because these are two separate topics and not one. People who wants EAM related discussion would hardly look in ERP related topics and normally find them raising question not relevan to others.

So I would again strongly recommend you to start a new forum, remaing marketing and get people engaged can be done by the group.

Regards

Hemant

christian_baust
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear Mark,

I have to agree with Hemant.

Enterprise Asset Management is not only containing/using various SAP products like ERP, SRM, PLM, ... it also is a cross industrie topic. This forum will help the EAM comunity to exchange expiriences. While ERP is well known in the SAP comunity where as Enterprise Asset Management is only yust to grow in importance.

Therefore I belive in the success of an EAM forum.

Christian

former_member374
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hemant,

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier.

As Matthias Wobbe writes, from a broad perspective EAM is part of ERP.

My argument is, that the activity in the ERP forum is so low that you can easily watch it and zoom in on the EAM questions in it. With creating an EAM forum we will have fewer posts in ERP. You need critical mass for a forum to be successful: Answers in a timely fashion: 12% open questions after 30 days and time to first reply below 30 minutes is the average on SDN. We are no way near that on ERP.

You may say that the problem is that ERP is too broad of a forum and that with EAM it will be different. So far I am not convinced. For the best SDN forums we have SAP moderators that are active answering the questions too often in their private time.

We don't have that for EAM yet. Are you stepping forward and saying yes, I will do a daily/every other day attempt to answer the questions posted in EAM?

I can offer a test run. We open an EAM forum for two months. If the answer rate is within 24 hours and the % of open questions after 30 days is below 20% we keep it, otherwise we move all posts back to ERP.

Let me know, Mark.

0 Kudos

Hello Mark,

I am sorry that the reply from my side was late, but it was not intentional. I had kept watch on this question but something went wrong and I did not get any indication regarding reply from you and Matthias. (Probably some technical deficiency somewhere)

I consider Matthias as my Guru and if he says it is part of ERP than it must be.

I would be surly Interested in doing coordination, but I think your KPI of 24 hours is more than tougher. It is better than even OSS high priority message

But let us at least try this. We open a forum and than I will send a mail to multiple experts. If we get good response and number of messages is less than equal to 3 per day than I can handle. Which I believe is good news and we keep forum open and can ask some more people to join and help.

If we have activity of less than 2 messages a week, than we do not need a separate forum.

Hope this makes a better KPI, if it is okay with you please let me know, this time will reassure that watch is ON for this question.

Regards

Hemant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here you go:

former_member374
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi EAM fans,

the EAM forum has been open for 10 days now and we have exactly 1 thread two posts in there.

Not exactly a big wave of questions and answers.

Where are all the eager Asset Managers?

Let me know, Mark.

Answers (14)

Answers (14)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Thanks for this initiative - it's very important to have EAM as a forum separate from ERP and PLM. ERP is way to broad a concept; PLM and EAM topics are pretty unrelated since one deals with the products of a company the other with their production assets.

Cheers, HaJo

0 Kudos

Hello Mark,

Hope you are reading the mail and as per the normal forum rules you need to atleast respond to the question raised. Specially because you are also moderator.

Please say something regarding why you think EAM is same as ERP! For all of us it is differant. If we think in general all the solution in SAP is coming out of R/2 and R/3 so thay all were once upon a time ERP. But we have grown beyond that, all uses services and parts of ERP but add much more in terms of solution beyond ERP.

Hope you appriciate the differances in the solution and need of participants.

Regards

Hemant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Discussion forum for Enterprise Asset Management... A real good news.

Count me in.

Regards,

Mahidhar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Wow, finally some one is thinking about EAM. I though SAP would always keep this confusion regarding PLM or ERP..

I think maintenance is differant cup of tea compared to PLM that is normally for people who design product or plant and not maintain them.

Former Member
0 Kudos

In any industry where large assets are utilized to either move passengers and or goods then EAM becomes a cornerstone to the operations within that industry. In the Travel & Transportation sectors this is very true. These businesses rely on the availability & utilization of such assets and EAM (Either standard or MRO focused) provides the ability to monitor, measure and maintain these assets to improve asset availability and maintenance costs. EAM impacts directly (in the travel & transportation industry) on a companies bottomline...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Would like to be a part of this Forum.

Regards,

Om

TinaGi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Would be valuable to have such a forum!

Bettina

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is great to have a forum of this sort.

christian_baust
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Hemant,

thanks for this initiative. A discussion forum on Enterprise Asset Management was overdue.

Thanks,

Christian

0 Kudos

Count me in!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Hemanth,

I am very much interested in joining the forum.

With Regards

Avisesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hemanth

Its really great to have a forum for EAM

Please count me in.

Thanks

Shahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thank you for the invite, I have enough questions on EAM to be dangerous in a PLM or ERP forum. So would appreciate the ability to raise and talk on EAM topics alone.

Regards

Craig McLeod - APA Aerospace, Transport and Travel.

former_member196466
Discoverer
0 Kudos

I think this is an essential topic for anyone in the

Process Industry. I think there should be a separate

forum for this topic.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As with all new forums on SDN, if enough people want it then we build it.

So folks if you are interested in a forum like this please reply!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

EAM is one of the most critical areas in ERP,A forum in

EAM would definitely help consultants, developer and partners working in the area of EAM.

regards

kaushik

PrasadRaghavan
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Hemanth

Thanks for the initiative.

I would surely like to be an active member of this group.

Please count me in.

Thanks

Prasad

younus_mohammed
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

It would definitely help people working in EAM area.

Regards,

Younus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes there is really a need for forum for Enterprise Asset Management.

Regards

Purnima

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am working in EAM, I would like to keep informed about the EAM happening. Please keep me in loop.

regards,

Anjinagowda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Important forum in my eyes.

EAM is part of ERP.

Message was edited by: Matthias Wobbe