cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URL too long to create an external window!!!

0 Kudos

Hi friends.

I have a problem, from WebDynpro Aplication call another WebDynpro Aplication, through method CREATE_EXTERNAL_WINDOW.

The problem is that the path(parameter URL of type STRING) that creates, is too long(more than 255 characters) by the numbers of parameters that pass(several numbers of orders selected). Then to create it, stay are order numbers and parameters outdoors.

I don't understand, is becasuse with a larger quantity to 255 characteres still works(load the second WDA), even though they have fallen out to URL numbers of orders and parameters!!! And if I choose a much larger numbers of orders selected doesn't work(don't load the second WDA). If the URL arm, I see that is the same ????.

Armed URL:

CONCATENATE '' '?' 'sap-ep-themeroot' '='

l_e_ihm_syst-zz_theme

'&liste_ordre' '=' param_number_order

'&liste_plan=' param_plans

'&statut_ouvert=' wd_comp_controller->statut_ouvert

'&statut_lance=' wd_comp_controller->statut_lanc

'&statut_confp=' wd_comp_controller->statut_confp

'&statut_conf=' wd_comp_controller->statut_conf

'&statut_tclo=' wd_comp_controller->statut_tclo

INTO lv_url.

Please someone help me or give me a quide where to look!!!

Regards in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

I assume that this question was not originally written in English and was perhaps machine translated. Much of the question doesn't make any sense. I can understand that you are having a problem with URLs that are too long if you have too many parameters, although I can't figure out what you are saying is your exact problem.

There is a browser limit to how long a URL can be (1024 characters). You also might be limited by the variable length declaration on a interface to generate the URL. So you can't pass in infinite amount of data as URL parameters. You simply will hit enforced limits.

0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the help.

My problem is that when I call from a WDA to another WDA in external form(method CREATE_EXTERNAL_WINDOW), selected many parameters (which are passed in the url) does not open a new window. Is it more clear?

When the length of the url is 3518 characters(parameter URL of method CREATE_EXTERNAL_WINDOW), the new window opens.

Any idea, please?

Regards in advance.

Matías Soto

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>Any idea, please?

Yes - don't create a URL that long. I'm not trying to be funny but stating a fact that the maximum length of a URL is something that is set by HTTP standards and enforced by web services and browsers. You simply can't exceed that limit.

It also is highly inefficient to pass too much data via URL parameters.

You should consider a work around. Perhaps you can serialize the data and write it into a server cookie and only pass some sort of GUID as the Key to read this data via the URL parameters. That way the actual data never leaves the server. You work around the URL lenght problem and improve the performance of your application at the same time.

0 Kudos

Thanks you very much Thomas!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Soto ,

Hey how can you pass through the url 3518 characters,i have also same problem .

Can you share sample code .

regards

sandeep

Answers (0)