cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Simple Thing - Installing AS ABAP on a Single Machine

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'll preface my little question/rant with a little information about myself:

I am basically an ABAP and Functional HR guy. I got tasked with installing ECC6 BASIS last week, and I have been working on it for a little while now. When I was asked to do this I thought "no big deal, I've installed BASIS in the past.", but.. while it was never easy, it seems ECC6 tharts me at every turn. Also, while I haven't done a fresh install recently, I have done module installs into existing systems with no issue. My main problem is the apparently reorganized SAPINST.

First is naming "issues" I want to install what I guess is technically called AS ABAP 7.0? Just normal vanilla ECC6 BASIS. Not Java, not Portals, nothing complex. Just a single instance on one machine. Yet SAP sent us 100 DVDs with similar and confusing names like "Netweaver 7.0 SR3" vs "SAP ERP 6.0 SR3". Maybe that's my fault for not keeping up on the latest marketing speak, but when I find out in the first 10 minutes of playing around that "solution manager 4.0" is the same as version 7, it's a bit disconcerting.

Also, as there are more options, some sort of quick-start guide would be quite useful, as the official install guides simply go through every step in the programs, offering little in the way of guidance for someone who wants to get a minimal system up quickly.

Anyway, rant finished, now to the real question:

If I select to install a "dialog instance" (which seems to be what I want), it asks for an existing profile path - so it want to install to an existing database. Since I want to install from scratch, this seems not to be the option I want.

The only other similar options are the "System Copy" options. Indeed, I have "Installation Export" CDs, but the System Copy option apparently wants different CDs.

(I am using the media Titled "ERP2005 Installation Master" for the above options).

So if someone has the time, please tell me which media and which option I need to choose to do a normal AS ABAP basis install for ECC6.

I did search before posting this question, so I hope the answer isn:t somewhere obvious.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you installing on a 32bit OS? As of SR3 I believe they no longer support that option for new installs which is why it only shows up if you go back to SR2. You can continue to use 32bit systems, but SAP really wants us to move to 64bit. And it make life so much easier for the BASIS team if you do.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Actually just a few hours ago, one of our basis people figured out that the reason is exactly as you said. Interestingly enough, I read in several SAP documents statements to the effect of "Solution manager 4.0 and 7.0 are exactly the same, only the name changed." Then he found documentation last night saying "4.0 SR3 will install on 32bit, 7.0 SR3 will not."

At any rate, we will order or download the 4.0 SR3 CDs and install from there. Sadly, it's not realistic to expect all customers to upgrade to 64bit on the windows platwork when many 3rd party interfaces and such won't work in such a system. (The server I am using supports 64bit, but I am using win32). Also, it sure would be nice if they gave the option and had it give a warning instead of just hiding it so people like me go crazy! At any rate, thank you for your time - another mystery solved.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Figured out the issue by trying from SR2 DVD install media.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I found the problem. If I use the SR2 DVDs, the install option is present (The "SAP Systems" menu option"). For some reason it is not present on SR3, and no equivilent option is available. I take this to be a bug with the SR3 install DVD.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you trying to set up a dialog instance to add more work processes to an existing SAP system? Then you want the Netweaver 7 install dvd and select the dialog instance install.

If you're creating a new SAP system you want the SAP ERP 6.0 DVD (current name for ERP 2005) and need to install the database and central instance (main dialog/dispatcher instance).

Don't you just love those guys at SAP marketing? Trying to keep up with they're naming conventions is a full time job in itself.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying to install a new system from scratch, actually. I will try again in a few days when I am back in the office, until I get it right. Alternatively, our BASIS guy will be available on the 29th I believe, so he can show me where I was silly. At any rate, thank you for the helpful response. If you ever need any ABAP help...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

the installation Guide gives you all the information you need, it is very comprehensive but that is what you expect when you have so many choices of what to install.

For a simple AS ABAP you have to use the option ,SAP Netweaver -> <DB Type> -> Central Instance. That will load the DB + install your CI. SAPINST will also tell you on the right side what it will actually install. Choose usage type AS ABAP only. You need the Installation Master DVD, the Kernel CD and the Export DVD(s).

Regards,

Andi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for responding before. I just took a look now, and under SAP Netweaver, there is no <central instance> option.

There is a

software Lifecycle -> app server -> ibm db2 -> dialog instance

but that is to install a dialog instance into an existing system.

There is also

software Lifecycle -> system copy-> ibm db2 -> target system installation -> central system -> based on as abap -> central system

but that required an export you made yourself it appears.

I wonder if somehow this DVD is only for upgrade. The DVD I am using is titled:

D51033511

ERP 2005 SR3 Installation Master

Any help you could provide would be appreciated. I also ordered the SR2 media from SAP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I gave up on the ABAP for now and decided to install Solution Manager, but I face a similar problem. The required install option seems to simply not be there.

According to the installation guide:

]In the Welcome screen, choose one of the following installation ]options:

]> SAP Systems

]> Software Life-Cycle Options

]The following tables provide more information about these installation ]options:

]> SAP Systems

]You use this option to install an SAP system with usage types or

]software units by choosing

]SAP Solution Manager <Current Release> SAP Systems ]<Database> <System Variant> Based on AS ABAP and AS Java .

]You can install the following system variants:

]l Central System

]l Distributed System

Yet my menu from the Solman 7.0 install master looks like this

SAP Installation Master

> SAP Solution Manager 4.0 Support Release 4

>StandAlone Engines

> Software Lifecycle Options

Nowhere is there an SAP Systems category, and under app server there is only "dialog instance", which isn:t useful for installing a new system.

The only thing I can guess is that SAP now expects us to use the System copy option for installs? but this doesn't agree with the installation guide. or am I doing something very wrong?