Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combined upgrade and unicode conversion

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are planing to go for an SAP Upgrade from SAP 4.6C to ECC6 and we

don't have plan to go for Unicode Conversion.

After SAP upgrade ECC 6.0 we are also planning to implement and configure

EP & BI.

At this juncture, Please suggest, should we go for Combined upgrade and

Unicode conversion or Non Unicode?

Regards

Sankar.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sankar,

There is no doubt that you can run your system for ECC6 non-Unicode but as we know todayu2019s business are virtual means all transactions done on web or internet. After some time you will fill your system should support web enabled features which can be get by JAVA only. And JAVA is Unicode compatible language so it can support any language available in this word. So at that time you system should be Unicode compatible so it can support JAVA. A Unicode compatible SAP System can also compatible for Enterprise portal & other Netweaver components .So, It would be much easier & fruitful if you do both upgraded and Unicode conversion at the same time

And one more thing you won't get support for Non Unicode SAP system as far as JAVA is concern. SAP deprecated Java systems connecting to non-Unicode backend systems.

If any issues regarding the same then let me know

Regards

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sankar,

from my point of view all depends on your team. If you have enough resources in your IT department, then I would go for the combined project. The reason is that I think it makes sense to do the Unicode Migration as soon as possible.

If you don't need new hardware and your resources are limited, then I would postpone Unicode Migration. Unicode will cost you more memory and more CPU cycles (ask your hardware vendor for new sizing). That means, when you plan for new hardware, you better plan the hardware for Unicode already because it will much cheaper to change the hardware once instead of twice.

Best regards

Ralph