cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JAVA Stack for consuming and providing Services with ABAP?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I would like to know if I need to have a Java Stack when I want to build a Web Application with Web Dynpro Abap and consume Enterprise Services from the Enterprise Service Repository. Additional own created services in ABAP should be provided. Is a Java stack necessary for that? Or is an ABAP Stack enough?

Thanks a lot for your answers?

Best regards,

Ingmar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ingmar,

You do not need a Java stack to build or run Web Dynpro ABAP application. Web Dynpro ABAP runs on ABAP stack.

Just to consume a web or enterprise service from Web Dynpro ABAP application, or any ABAP application for that matter, you do not need Java stack, either. NetWeaver Application Server contains a component called ICM (Internet Communication Manager) that enables the AS to play both as a service provider as well as a consumer.

The part about consuming Enterprise Services from the ES Repository is more complicated, though.

ES Repository is only a modeling tool. Services are actually implemented in the respective backend systems and then registered in central Services Registry. So, if the Enterprise Service you want to consume comes from an application that runs on Java stack, although I do not have any example of that handy, then obviously - Java stack is needed. This is irrelevant, however, if your question only pertains to the consumer part.

I hope this helps.

Andrzej

Answers (0)