cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Net Weaver Installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am in a process of installing NetWeaver dev studio. I wanted to know is it necessary for every developer in the team to install the whole j2ee engine and meet those hardware req. or developers can install a thin client and everybody connects to a dev box which has the portal host and j2ee engine installed. kind of like what portal pdk for .net where you just install the portal add-in which is a plug-in to MS visual studio and to deploy your applications everybody in the team connects to the dev box where portal host and runtime are installed. Can somebody guide me in the right direction. Any help is appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tarun,

you definitely can live with a NWDS per developer and deploying to a central dev server. Anyhow, nobody at our company does this. There are several reasons for this: (a) We are all working offline, too, in the train, at home (like now), in the hotel... VPN is an option, but not as flexible as having your own server "on board". (b) Deploying with many developers on one server can get you really angry, for especially WD deployment often takes many seconds, and within these, everybody else trying to deploy gets stuck within the queue; (c) for debugging, you need one node per developer if you want to be able to debug in parallel.

All together - everybody loves his own test/dev environment; nevertheless, of course we have a central dev environment to put things together. But not as the first step...

Hope it helps

Detlev

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Yes you can have that setup. You team just needs NWDS on there laptops you can all deploy to one remote j2e engine. That is how I have mine setup. I have NWDS on my laptop and for development, I deploy to another box running the j2e engine in my office.

You do not need to have a j2e engine on your local machine

Regards

Rich Heilman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Rich,

Thanks for the reply..When i go to downloads, there are like a ton of them , most recent one says DVD SAP NW rapid installer 2.1.1 of 16 (51031178_1), should i download all the 16 cds and then start installation and and just select nwds or is there a separate link for installing nwds. Am in the wrong area...I am in service.sap.com and SAP software distribution center and then selected sap netweaver in entry by application group.

Thanks

Tarun

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

I would just order the DVDs thru your reseller. The downloads will take for ever. NWDS will come with the set of CD/DVDs.

Regards,

Rich Heilman