cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STAD Historical Data - How Long?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I would like to find out how many days of history is maintained for STAD? Someone says our production STAD has 8 months of historical data. How can I confirm this?

Thank you so much in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

will you please kindly let us know,how the problem is resolved.?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for all your help. Problem resolved.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Data you got from STAD is stored at OS level (where this file is located is set by parameter stat/file and default location is: /usr/sap/<SID>/<Instance Directory>/DATA)

Parameter stat/max_files determines how many stat files will be written until the oldest is overwritten. default value is 48, but you can change as you need. afaik maximum value is 99 (hours)

you can also check this good blog for your problem.

[https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/5511] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken];

Depending on your requirement and your disk space availability, you can increase these parameters as you need.

You need to define this parameter for each instance (instance profile) using RZ10 or RZ11.

hope it help you.

rgds,

Alfonsus Guritno

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

yes of course you can modify standard retention value by this method :

- goto transaction ST03 or ST03N

- switch to EXPERT MODE (on the top left corner)

- drilldown menu Collector and Performance DB on the left pane

- drilldown submenu Workload Collector on the left pane

- double click on Control Data on the left pane

- than change the value of Delete dialog step statistics files if older than from default value 48 hours to the retention period fit your need

- then save values

(you can switch back to default value by hitting button SAP default/ current values)

hope it help you,

rgds,

Alfonsus Guritno

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alfonsus,

I can see workload collector under Collector and Performance DB. But, I don't see Control Data under Workload Collector. Please help.

FYI... I am running R/3 4.6C.

Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

have you trying ST03N instead of ST03 ?

have you changed mode to expert mode ?

waiting for your response.

rgds,

Alfonsus Guritno

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your quick response.

I go to transaction ST03N --> Change mode to Expert Mode --> Expand 'Collector and Performance DB' --> Expand 'Workload Collector'. At this point, I only see two items under 'Workload Collector' -- 'Log' and 'Collector and Reorg.'

I don't see 'Control'. Please help me to find where I can change the retention parameter.

Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

taken from :

[http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/c1/0dbf62e04311d286d6006008b32e84/content.htm]

Note that you can only execute the business transaction analysis (STAD) for the period for which the statistics files are retained (by default, 48 hours).

I have checked in our system and explanation above is true

hope it help you.

rgds,

Alfonsus Guritno

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you both for your quick response. But, here is my question.

How do I find the retention period for statistics? Yes I understand by default the retention period is 48 hours. But, if there is a way to increase the retention period to 4 days, where will it be changed? Is there any parameter that holds this value?

I am only trying to find the location from where I can find the retention period for STAD statistics for my system.

Thank you.

debasissahoo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello SAP007,

The statistics data is transferred from the work process to an operating system-level file. This file location is set by the parameter stat/file. by default it points to instance-specific data directory (for example:

<Drive>:\usr\sap\<SID>\DVEBMGS00\data).

- For each hour a new stat file is written.

- The parameter stat/maxfiles determines how many stat files will be written until the oldest is overwritten

- Max allowed value for stat/maxfiles is 99.

That means if you set stat/maxfiles to its maximum value 99, then after 99 hours the first stat file is going to be overwritten.

As you might be already aware, these stat files contents are hourly aggregated and stored in database level tables from which ST03N reads.

Regards,

Debasis.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the quick response. But, is it true that upto 4.6C, I can set the retention only based on the size of the stat.DAT file? and not by number of files or number of hours which, is possible from 4.6D?

Thank you.

debasissahoo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

But, is it true that upto 4.6C, I can set the retention only based on the size of the stat.DAT file? and not by number of files or number of hours which, is possible from 4.6D?

True, upto 4.6C only one stat file gets generated.

As per SAP Note 6833, The statistics file is deleted automatically in the following cases:

- when you start the SAP system (if the first record in the file is at least 7 days old, or if a new year begins between stopping and starting the system), or

- when the collector reports of the workload analysis are scheduled regularly, when the file has reached the maximum size that was set, and when the workload collector has processed all the data of the file. Normally, these collector reports run in a background job ('COLLECTOR_FOR_PERFORMANCEMONITOR' or 'SAP_COLLECTOR_FOR_PERFMONITOR'), which is scheduled hourly in the standard system.

If the background job SAP_COLLECTOR_FOR_PERFMONITOR or COLLECTOR_FOR_PERFORMANCEMONITOR (it is best to schedule it hourly = default value) is scheduled in the R/3 system, the statistics file is usually deleted when it reaches a certain size. Currently, the default value is 100 megabyte, which corresponds to about 200,000 to 300,000 (depending on the release) statistics entries (about 200,000 to 300,000 screen changes). In the SAP system (if statistics are activated), about 340 - 500 bytes are written to the statistics file (when you use the standard setting) for each screen change.

You can also set a value that differs from the default value in transaction ST03 (menu: Tools -> Administration -> Monitoring -> Performance, then: Workload -> Analysis). To do this, choose Goto -> Parameters -> Performance database, and then choose 'Modify parameters' and change the parameter 'Delete seq.statfile after cumulation if >'. If you enter the value "0 Megabyte", nothing is deleted.

Regards,

Debasis

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

I don't think that SAP would keep history that long. As you know that even during SAP Going Live Check session, SAP Global Support suggest you to apply some background jobs including clean printer spool job, cleaning temse directory, and some other statistics log.

From my experience, STAD history only exist for 1 day even less.

ardhian

<removed_by_moderator>

Read the "Rules of Engagement"

Edited by: Juan Reyes on Oct 23, 2008 10:13 AM