cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install of SAP on Linux -glibc-32bit-8.1-9 for Novell SUSE SLES Linux 10.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

We are installing the Oracle on x86_64 using Novell SUSE SLES 10.

As per OSS note 841728 , (Installation Proble #8) for SUSE\UnitedLinux x86_64 ) we should have glibc-32-8.1-9 and glibc-devel-32bit-8.1-9 installed.

We have glibc-32bit-2.4-31.30 and glibc-devel-32bit-2.4-31.30 installed on Linux server.

My question are :-

1) Do we must have these files (glibc-32-8.1-9) installed? Or will do with glibc-32bit-2.4-31.30.

As OUI gives following warning during installation :-

Checking recommended glibc version.......failed

2 ) where to get these files from? I was unable to find these RPMs?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Sandeep,

Note 841728 - Installation problem #8 describes a workaround for a problem with SLES9, you are already on SLES10, so don't bother about these glibc packages, because they are only available on SLES9 and you have SLES10 and the described problem there only occurs with SLES9

I assume that you are using the RUNINSTALLER from the SAP directory, right? What exactly is the error ?

Thanks,

Hannes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Hannes

First of all thank you for the reply.

Yes, I am using the "RUNINSTALLER" from SAP directory, but updated "RUNINSTALLER" I downloaded as per OSS note 980426.

Using workaround # 3 , recommended by SAP.

I have downloaded these Oracle CD's (material # 51031676) from service market place 5days ago and they are dated as 11-04-2006.

I have to use OSS note 980426 as I was getting following error

/oracle/stage/102_64/database/SAP/SVRCUSTOM.RSP --> /tmp/.orainst_rsp.18836: Done

Starting Oracle Universal Installer...

Checking installer requirements...

Checking operating system version: must be redhat-3, SuSE-9, redhat-4, UnitedLinux-1.0, asianux-1 or asianux-2 Failed <<<<

Here are the messaged I am getting from OUI

Msg#1

===========================================

Checking operating system requirements ...

Expected result: One of redhat-3,redhat-4,SuSE-9

Actual Result: SuSE-SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (x86_64)

Check complete. The overall result of this check is: Failed <<<<

Problem: Oracle Database 10g is not certified on the current operating system.

Recommendation: Make sure you are installing the software on the correct platform.

=======================================================================

Msg#2

Checking operating system package requirements ...

Check complete. The overall result of this check is: Not executed <<<<

OUI-18001: The operating system 'Linux Version SuSE-SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (x86_64)' is not supported.

Recommendation: Install the required packages before continuing with the installation.

Msg#3

Checking security kernel parameters

OUI-18001: The operating system 'Linux Version SuSE-SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (x86_64)' is not supported.

Recommendation: Perform operating system specific instructions to update the kernel parameters, namely BIT_SIZE and noexec_user_stack.

Msg#4

Checking Recommended glibc version

Recommendation: You may actually have installed packages which have obsoleted these, in which case you can successfully continue with the install. If you have not, it is recommended that you do not continue. Refer to the readme to find out how to get the missing packages.

========================================

So, I was more concern about Msg# 4, and that's how I came across OSS note Note 841728 - Installation problem #8.

So, I believe we are OK to go ahead and run the installation of Oracle, isn't it????

Thank you again.

Sandeep

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Sandeep,

the Oracle checks are really outdated ... You can install Oracle on SLES10 ...

You may have to install the "compat-libstdc++" package, but I'm not sure if Oracle needs it ...

Thanks,

Hannes

former_member105207
Active Participant
0 Kudos

hi sandeep,

try this

cd /oracle/stage/102_64/database

then edit the oraparam.ini file

search for SuSe-9 and replace it with SuSe-10

Make this changes all over the file and then start with oracle installation.

Do take a copy of the file before editing the file.

regards,

chandru.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi sandeep

ya it is definitely we have to install.without this we wont start sap and oracle installation because glibc means c,c++ packages in OS level

at the time of OS installation it shows development packages u click on that one all development packages will install.to wheter it is installed or not type rpm -qa glibc* in cmd prompt