cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing two systems in one host - clarification

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We have requirement to install the R3 and BI development system in the same host.

I have completed installation of the BI7 system.

The database used is SQL server 2005.

Now when we install the other system, I am not sure how to go about the database.

Do I need to install again SQL server 2005 in some other drive or the existing one can be used, that means will it add a new database to the existing database server?

Thanks and Regards,

Amit Jana.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (10)

Answers (10)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

also note that in SQL management studio, I find the below log

11/04/2008 19:25:21,Logon,Unknown,Login failed for user 'SAPQUA\SAPServiceMEQ'. [CLIENT: <local machine>]

11/04/2008 19:25:21,Logon,Unknown,Error: 18456<c/> Severity: 14<c/> State: 11.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check this note:

Note 610640 - sp_check_sap_login

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

While installing ECC6 on MSSQL 2005 the instance is not starting up.

In SAPMMC console the dispather is stopping as all the wp s are dying.

I am giving the error log from dev_w0.

Kindly suggest.

-

OpenOledbConnection: MARS property was set successfully.

C OpenOledbConnection: line 23715. hr: 0x8000ffff Login failed for user 'SAPQUA\SAPServiceMEQ'.

C sloledb.cpp [OpenOledbConnection,line 23715]: Error/Message: (err 18456, sev 0), Login failed for user 'SAPQUA\SAPServiceMEQ'.

C Procname: [OpenOledbConnection - no proc]

C sloledb.cpp [OpenOledbConnection,line 23715]: Error/Message: (err 0, sev 0), Invalid connection string attribute

C Procname: [OpenOledbConnection - no proc]

C failed to establish conn. 0

B ***LOG BY2=> sql error -1 performing CON [dbsh#2 @ 1204] [dbsh 1204 ]

B ***LOG BY0=> Login failed for user 'SAPQUA\SAPServiceMEQ'. [dbsh#2 @ 1204] [dbsh 1204 ]

B ***LOG BY2=> sql error -1 performing CON [dblink#5 @ 431] [dblink 0431 ]

B ***LOG BY0=> Login failed for user 'SAPQUA\SAPServiceMEQ'. [dblink#5 @ 431] [dblink 0431 ]

M ***LOG R19=> ThInit, db_connect ( DB-Connect 000256) [thxxhead.c 1440]

M in_ThErrHandle: 1

M *** ERROR => ThInit: db_connect (step 1, th_errno 13, action 3, level 1) [thxxhead.c 10468]

Thanks and Regards,

Amit Jana.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I have 1 more clarification.

I have to copy a development system installed in a different location in our network.

We have decided to go for backup/restore ie install a new system with the same SID and restore from the bankup of the old system.

Now in the existing sytem the datafiles are placed in G: drive.

And in the new system the G drive is already occupied with datafiles of another sap system.

So, while installing the datafiles has to be placed in a different drive (F:).

Is this going to create any problem while restoring?

Thanks and Regards,

Amit Jana.

Former Member
0 Kudos

there should not be a issue, you can restore to F:\ drive and while generating controlfile, make sure that you generate with f:\ drive instead of G:\.

cheers,

-Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

but What is the sistuation when installing QAS and PRD databases on the same host, given that QAS system will be much less loaded than the PRD. The AS for QAS and DEV are on a separate machines. What is the best choice for this situation. To add another database with different SID on the same server or to add another named instance for the PRD system ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

My choice is always named instance - no matter if it's DEV, QAS or PRD.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

but What is the sistuation when installing QAS and PRD databases on the same host, given that QAS system will be much less loaded than the PRD. The AS for QAS and DEV are on a separate machines. What is the best choice for this situation. To add another database with different SID on the same server or to add another named instance for the PRD system ?

Hi,

just a reminder: SAP does not support the installation of a PRD system together with any other system on the same host - for obvious reasons, I believe. So, there is only one choice: PRD alone on a host.

You could install your QAS with DEV. And my choice is another database with the SID of the QAS system. I don't use named instances.

Regards,

Konstantina

Former Member
0 Kudos

For clarification, what you are desribing is not an MCOD system.

MCOD refers to two separate components residing inthe same database.

Sharing a host or SQL instance does not necessitate sharing the same database.

I would avoid MCOD if at all possible.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>I would avoid MCOD if at all possible.

Ho, yes : I can't agree more. Using MCOD is asking for trouble !

It's much better to install 2 named instances.

I would say also that even for a DEV box, it's not a good idea to mix BI and ECC on the same hardware.

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi amit,

you can create another database on the same database server. this is what SAP called MCOD system. no problem at all.

ardhian

http://sapbasis.wordpress.com

Former Member
0 Kudos

Make sure that you adjust the memory parameters in each system as well as in SQL Server so that these applications do not step on each other.

I typically dedicate at least 5 GB to SQL Server, and 4GB+ to each SAP Instance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi sunil,

Thanks for your reply.

This means sapinst identifies the running SQL server in the host and creates a database with the same name of the SID given.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks and Regards,

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes, correct,

but use the different SID name other than installed one. (BI7)

cheers,

-Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

make sure you understand the concept of named instances. If we talk about production here it is not a good idea to put 2 SAP DBs on one RDBMS (OLTP and OLAP) - unless your server is a little monster!

Take this at least into consideration (it is also true for SQL9):

Sven

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In addition check following notes

Note 388866 - Multiple Components on One Database - Installation

Note 28392 - Two R/3 Systems on one Windows NT Server

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

just add one more database on same SQL sever.

cheers,

-Sunil