cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup solution SAP ECC 6.0. / Windows x64 / Oracle 10 --> Available?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are currently in the process of upgrading our SAP system to SAP ECC 6.0.

The plan is to go from Unix to a Windows x64 server environment, the database will be an Oracle 10 database. This is all discussed with our outsourcing partner. Is this a common configuration?

The problem we are facing now is backup. There is no standard Backup agent for this platform available just now. I would like to know what's the best solution at the moment, as we can't go live without a good backup solution.

Are there people/companies out there with the same configuration/platform who had the same problem? I would like to know what's the best kachup option. Thanks very much.

Regards,

Robbert van Gorp

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> The plan is to go from Unix to a Windows x64 server environment, the database will be an Oracle 10 database. This is all discussed with our outsourcing partner. Is this a common configuration?

Windows is used by ~ 50 % of the SAP customers and x86_64 is the new mainstream platform - so yes, that setup is pretty common.

> The problem we are facing now is backup. There is no standard Backup agent for this platform available just now. I would like to know what's the best solution at the moment, as we can't go live without a good backup solution.

What backup software are you using?

> Are there people/companies out there with the same configuration/platform who had the same problem? I would like to know what's the best kachup option. Thanks very much.

Since we don't know what 3rd party product you use we can't suggest anything.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

We are currently using SAP on Unix (i think it's HPLUX) with Oracle 9. The server is hosted/managed by the outsourcing partner and I don't have the info what kind of backup software they are using now.

As we are going from Unix to Windows (with an upgraded database) we need a new backup solution as well. Our outsourcing partner informed us about that there is no standard backup solution for this configuration, so in my opinion everything is welcome? We just need some direction in deciding whats best for our configuration.

I just started at this company, so I don't have all the inside technical information available just now. Hope you can help, thanks.

-Robbert

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> We are currently using SAP on Unix (i think it's HPLUX) with Oracle 9. The server is hosted/managed by the outsourcing partner and I don't have the info what kind of backup software they are using now.

Well - in that case I can't suggest anything. Windows x86_64 can also run 32bit clients -maybe that is an option.

> As we are going from Unix to Windows (with an upgraded database) we need a new backup solution as well. Our outsourcing partner informed us about that there is no standard backup solution for this configuration, so in my opinion everything is welcome? We just need some direction in deciding whats best for our configuration.

I don't know your configuration so how to suggest anything

It's possible to backup the database to a disk and backup that in a second step to a tape with standard Windows backup tools.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Yes I'm sorry about that, as I only have functional SAP knowledge (mainly BI) it's pretty hard for me to give you the right technical info.

Your last option "It's possible to backup the database to a disk and backup that in a second step to a tape with standard Windows backup tools. " is what the Outsourcing partner said as well. Quote:

"At this moment there is no SAP backup agent available for the SAP platform Windows x64, Oracle 10 and SAP 6."

"Due to the fact there is no tape agent available for the platform at this moment, the idea is to use file system backup on an external file system.

Additional, a cleanup script should be scheduled to remove old backups.

A normal file backup should be scheduled to transport file backups to tape for long term archiving. "

So I think we should go for this option, untill there is an official backup agent available.

What kind of information would you need to say something about a more specific direction, as I can always ask the basis consultants at the outsourcing company. Thanks very much already.

-Robbert

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> So I think we should go for this option, untill there is an official backup agent available.

Yes - that "solution" is not uncommon.

> What kind of information would you need to say something about a more specific direction, as I can always ask the basis consultants at the outsourcing company. Thanks very much already.

SAP brings its own tools to maintain and manage the database (BR*TOOLS) so pretty much everything can be done with them using a few scripts.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your help, we will go on with this.