cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charts in WebDynpro Java (BusinessGraphics/Flex Islands)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

In our project we are to display complex chart on a WebDynpro page. I did investigate the following solution but non of them could help me:

• BusinessGraphics element: The element works through a Chart Engine. Chart Engine could draw a chart I need, but unfortunately BusinessGraphics element doesn't allow to change XML request to Chart Engine and supports only a half of functionality(FE I couldn't choose Column&Lines chart type). So, we couldn't use BusinessGraphics element to display needed chart.

• AnalyticsChart element: The element use Flex Charting to display a chart and the element provides very small functionality as well and I cannot create needed chart.

Of cause it's possible to create needed chart in Flex, but I didn't find any way to integrate Flex and Java. Search points me to Flash Island technology, but it seems the technology was released only for WebDynpro ABAP.

Environment: NetWeaver Server 7.11 EHP1(from SDN); NetWeaver Development Studio 7.1 SP00 PAT0000 (Build id: 200807300233)

So, let me ask questions:

1. Is there any way to modify XML request from BusinessGraphics element to chart engine?

2. How can I embed Flex/Flesh application to the WebDynpro page?

Best Regards,

Dmitry

Edited by: Dmitry Eidzin on Oct 22, 2008 10:54 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dmitry,

1. As far as I know, there is no way...

2. some hints regarding Flash Island:

To integrate flash files into your Web Dynpro application, the Adobe Flash Island UI element can be used. Flash Island is based on Adobe Flex (http://www.adobe.com/flex).

In Web Dynpro a FlashIsland is set as RootElement and spans an entire view.

To specify the flash componentu2019s data source, properties and events and to bind them to the relevant Web Dynpro objects, you can insert one or more of the following View elements into the FlashIsland:

DataSource (GACDataSource)

Property (GACProperty) into the DataSource.

Event (GACEvent).

EventParameter (GACEventParameter) into the Event.

Itu2019s also possible to insert a Property directly into the FlashIsland, if you want to bind to a context attribute directly under the ContextRoot. You can also refer to hierarchical data structures by inserting DataSources into a DataSource.

To specify the screen area, where the FlashIsland is to be displayed, insert a ViewContainerUIElement into a view.

Insert a view, e.g. called FlashView into this ViewContainerUIElement.

Open the FlashView, select the RootElement in the Outline view and choose FlashIsland from the context menu entry Replace With.

Select the RootElement and enter the name of your component to the property swfFile, for example: myFlash.swf. This file has to be stored in the mime repository. The relevant path is: .

To insert the needed additional elements to the RootElement, select it, open the context menu and choose DataSource.

To insert a Property, select the DataSource and choose Insert Property from the context menu.

Hope this helps

kind regards

Stefanie

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

kai_gutenkunst
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

concerning your very first requirement: do you want to display a chart with mixed chart types (columns and lines)?

Then it's not necessary to dynamically change the XML before it is sent to the IGS.

During designtime just edit the chart settings interactively: you could create series customizing per series and change the chart type as desired, e.g. one with Lines, the other using Columns.

Regards, Kai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

You are right. I'm trying to display Column&Line chart.

But I didn't find way to create customized series. I could change type of whole chart as I see in BusinesGraphics component properties. How can I do this customization?

Thanks,

Dmitry

kai_gutenkunst
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

edit the chart to start the chart designer.

Within the chart designer you can create the series settings as described here (see my last [comment|])

Regards, Kai