Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archive directory is full

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I'm very new into SAP.

Plz tell me how to look that the archive directory is full at the database level and what command to use to bring the system up again as it hanged when the redo logs are not deleted from the system.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As suggested by other SDN members, offline redologs needs to be backed-up & then deleted to make space for new logs.

You can check disk utilization with following command:

df -g | grep oraarc

If above command shows that it is more than 90% full, move your archive logs to another folder (e.g. /oracle/<SID>/arc_backup). Since this is faster option to make your system available. Backup on tape takes comparatively longer time.

Once space becomes available in /oracle/<SID>/oraarc directory, systems automatically comes out of hung state & users can continue their work. You need not stop or start your database.

Regards,

-Pankaj Kapote

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thanks for all your responses.

Pankaj I was trying the command that you gave but it didn't gave me the disk utilization, this is what i'm looking for.

I want to see the percentage of the file that is utilized.

When I type in df - g| grep oraarch....it gives me this

/oracle/D10/saparch </dev/vgdata/lvsaparch>:

/oracle/D10/saparch file system specific string

Can you tell what exactly should I use?

Thanks

lakshminarayanan_m
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Once the archive log are created in the directory we have to move to another system or location . So that only there will free space remains in your directory.

Put bdf to check the free space and utilization of each directory on your system.

This is cmd to move archive : " brarchive -u / -sd -c -f -p ftparchinitSID.sap "

Regards

MLN

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I understood your prolem now.

You are not getting any output because /oracle/D10/saparch is not a mountpoint.

To find out the mount point used by /oracle/D10/saparch, go into the directory "cd /oracle/D10/saparch" then type "df -g .". This will tell you the mount point used by the saparch directory.

Above command will also tell you the space utilization of that mountpoint.

Hope, you are clear about it now?

Regards,

-Pankaj Kapote

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Pankaj and Laxmi and all other who replied.

Because of people like you new ones like me learn a lot.

Thanks a lot.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

First you login with the <SID>adm & check the log file of archiving. If backup is not taken then take the backup of archive file then remove it.

Regards,

Sudhir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi There,

You can check the fill percentage of the ditrctory using o/s commands for the unix flavour.

Regarding hang situation you can schedule daily backup of arcive files in t-code DB13.

Regards

Ashok

andreas_herzog
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> brarchive -u / -sd -c

should do the trick...depending on your local unix policy use either user <sid>adm or ora<sid>.

the database will be started by user <ora>sid:

> sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

> startup

> exit

GreetZ, AH

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

backup your archive file regularly and delete after being backup. You can backup using brarchive command.

There are many of 3rd party tools that provide software which can integrate with brarchive such as HP OpenView Data Protector, IBM Tivoli Storage Management, etc.

ardhian

http://sapbasis.wordpress.com

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have Oracle 10g and SAP ECC6.0 on unix platform.