cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux RHEL 5.x (x86_64) for SAP

asif_rahmetulla
Participant
0 Kudos

We are evaluating LINUX RHEL 5.2 to use as underlying OS for SAP application servers on x86_64 platform. The idea is to run SAP in a heterogeneous environment with database and central system running on Solaris and application servers on Linux RHEL x8664 platform. This is to get a feel for which other companies are using Linux x86_64 platform to run SAP and what has been their experience (good/bad) so far?

Regards,

Asif

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Asif,

It seems great combination. I also use CentOS 4.5 for my application server. No problem at all. SAP Performance is also well.

ardhian

http://sapbasis.wordpress.com

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Although this thread is about RHEL 5.x, I would like to report I was running a SAP R/3 Enterprise 4.7 110 release on a Centos 3.9 without problems at all. I haven't had a closer look at the performnace on this machine since it is a test box, but I report times reported in ST03 are not bad.

One thing I would like to note is that due Native POSIX Threads Library on later linux kernels (2.6.x) I wasn't unable to install 4.7 on Centos 4, Centos 5 (thus RHEL 4, 5) at all.

Cheers,

Antonio

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> One thing I would like to note is that due Native POSIX Threads Library on later linux kernels (2.6.x) I wasn't unable to install 4.7 on Centos 4, Centos 5 (thus RHEL 4, 5) at all.

There are workarounds available for that "problem" (speaking of LD_ASSUME_KERNEL) and patches for runInstaller.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

I know that trick. In fact I had to cheat the system with LD_ASSUME_KERNEL during the installation on Centos 3.9, but in the case of Centos 4-5, I still got some coredumps from the programs running (I can't remember exactly which one), so I had no choice but installing R/3 Enterprise on Centos 3.9

Cheers.

Antonio Huete

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I know that trick. In fact I had to cheat the system with LD_ASSUME_KERNEL during the installation on Centos 3.9, but in the case of Centos 4-5, I still got some coredumps from the programs running (I can't remember exactly which one), so I had no choice but installing R/3 Enterprise on Centos 3.9

I think you are talking about the ICM (icmbnd). LD_ASSUME_KERNEL must be set permanently if you don't use a 640_EX2 kernel.

Markus

asif_rahmetulla
Participant
0 Kudos

Good and helpful discussion

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

We finally might upgrade to Oracle 10g (10.2.0.4). The PAM says that a kernel upgrade to EX2 is mandatory.

Is there anyone who have upgraded a R/3 4.6C / 9.2 to Oracle 10g and EX2 kernel or operating a R/3 4.6C / EXT2 Kernel under 10g ?

Any issues ? (performance, ...)

I have to reassure the management about this upgrade.

Thank you

Serge

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The only difference between the normal kernel and the EX2 kernel is, that the normal kernel uses the "old" Oracle 9.2.0.x clients whereas the EX2 kernels use the new Oracle instantclient.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We are running both our applicaion server and database on RHEL 5.1.

Its a good experiance so far.

Nikhil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Kinda same idea here.

We are running a R/3 4.6C system on Oracle 9.2.0.5 / AIX 5.3 (SAP Kernel 4.6D-EXT 64bit)

To reduce costs, we would like to add x86-64 application servers on Linux RHEL 5.X to our Unix AIX existing app servers.

Do you know if it is fully supported by SAP ? Some sapnotes seems to say all Unix (including Linux)-Unix combinations are supported (531069)

Is it compatible with our database version (9.2.0.5) ? What version of SAP Kernel and Oracle client should be installed on the Dialog Instance Server (Linux box) ?

Thanks for your help

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Do you know if it is fully supported by SAP ? Some sapnotes seems to say all Unix (including Linux)-Unix combinations are supported (531069)

The combination is supported.

Just keep in mind that AIX is BigEndian and Linux is LittleEndian. If your system is not a Unicode system you may see different sortings depending on the langauge.

> Is it compatible with our database version (9.2.0.5) ? What version of SAP Kernel and Oracle client should be installed on the Dialog Instance Server (Linux box) ?

The kernels and clients must be identical.

Keep in mind that Oracle 9.2 is already out of support. I suggest you upgrade to 10g ASAP.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> > Do you know if it is fully supported by SAP ? Some sapnotes seems to say all Unix (including Linux)-Unix combinations are supported (531069)

>

> The combination is supported.

>

> Just keep in mind that AIX is BigEndian and Linux is LittleEndian. If your system is not a Unicode system you may see different sortings depending on the langauge.

>

> > Is it compatible with our database version (9.2.0.5) ? What version of SAP Kernel and Oracle client should be installed on the Dialog Instance Server (Linux box) ?

>

> The kernels and clients must be identical.

>

> Keep in mind that Oracle 9.2 is already out of support. I suggest you upgrade to 10g ASAP.

>

>

>

> Markus

Sorry to ask that question, but what do you mean exactly when you say "Kernels and clients must be identical" ?

I guess as part of my dialog intance installation, I have to install a 9.2.0.5 Oracle client on my RHEL 5 Linux app server. What about the kernel ? Where to find a 4.6D_EXT 64bit kernel for RHEL 5 x86_64 ? Could you please be more precise ?

We will upgrade to 10.2 when we move to ECC 6 by the end of next year.

Thanks again for your help Markus.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Sorry to ask that question, but what do you mean exactly when you say "Kernels and clients must be identical" ?

> I guess as part of my dialog intance installation, I have to install a 9.2.0.5 Oracle client on my RHEL 5 Linux app server. What about the kernel ? Where to find a 4.6D_EXT 64bit kernel for RHEL 5 x86_64

You find that kernel if you have an extended maintenance contract for 4.6c. You need to upgrade your kernel to 46D_EXT, the normal 46c/46d kernels are not available on Linux x86_64. Both systems (AIX + Linux) must use the same kernel patchlevels.

I also suggest you upgrade your database to 9.2.0.8 and use the 9.2.0.8 client for Linux. 9.2.0.5 is VERY old (and buggy).

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus

Our R/3 4.6C is running on AIX 5.3 / Oracle 9.2.0.5 for years !

Happy to hear this version is buggy I have well understood we'd better upgrade to 9.2.0.8 but is it mandatory ? In other words is the RHEL 4 / Oracle 9.2.0.5 client combinaison supported as a Dialog Instance of my sap system ?

It's true that the SAP Product Availability Matrix says :

Kernel released on 64-Bit Linux primarily for upgrade and preparation thereof, see note 939406.

Oracle Enterprise Edition only

At least Oracle Patchset 9.2.0.7 required.

Please see SAP note 925871 for Oracle 9.2 maintenance information

On the other hand, does the Oracle client version have to be the same as the database version ? Can I use the 9.2.0.8 client on Linux for a Database in 9.2.0.5 ???

Sorry to insist, but to test the AS on Linux, we then would have to upgrade 25 SAP system from 9.2.0.5 to 9.2.0.8.

Thank you

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Our R/3 4.6C is running on AIX 5.3 / Oracle 9.2.0.5 for years !

Happy to hear this version is buggy

Well - 4.6c may not make use of features that are buggy - you´re on the happy side If you check metalink for bugs fixed in versions after 9.2.0.5 then you will see what I mean...

On the other hand, does the Oracle client version have to be the same as the database version ? Can I use the 9.2.0.8 client on Linux for a Database in 9.2.0.5 ??

The Linux kernels are built against newer (where newer > 9.2.0.5) versions of the client. It may or may not work. The clients of the same version are downward compatible. In case of a problem residing on the server you would be forced to upgrade.

I would create a simple test environment and check if your normal processes work, if they do, I´d go for a higher client with lower database.

Sorry to insist, but to test the AS on Linux, we then would have to upgrade 25 SAP system from 9.2.0.5 to 9.2.0.8.

You would just need to upgrade ONE database and check it

Markus