cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WebDynpro - Performance Problem - Please help me

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear WDA Experts,

I am facing a performance problem in accessing our newely built WDA application. Here are the details:

Client Infrastructure:

SAP ECC6.0 SP13

I have built a WDA application which has one main controller and three custom controllers so total 4 main controllers. And, I have created total four different views and the main view context is mapped to component controller and other 3 view contexts are mapped to custom controllers. All this development is in FI Real Estate.

Now, the application is taking 2-3 minutes of time to load initially in the browser, but subsequent attempts to access the application does not take more than 20 secs of time. When analyzing the data in Global Workload Monitor (transaction ST03G) what I found that the tasks such as DIALOG and HTTPS are taking huge amount of time nearly 2000ms.

Please help me as how to reduce this time so that the application loads much faster in the first attempt also.

Your earliest responses will be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

Thanks,

Srinivas

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

You will need to find out where this time is being spent. This is absolutely outside the norm for application loading. Are you seeing this on just one application or all of them - including SAP's samples? Have you done a SQL trace or runtime trace to see exactly where in the application the time is being spent? Just knowing that it is in the dialog step, doesn't really tell you much. How complex is the screen? How many UI elements? Do you use TabStrips? How many views? How many components? How complex is your context? How deep? How are you loading it?

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Thomas,

Thanks very much for responding to my query..Here are my answers for your questions.

Q: Are you seeing this on just one application or all of them - including SAP's samples?

A: Yes, I see this problem across all the applications(SAP and Custom). But, this is only for first time and subsequent attempts are fast loaded.

Q: Have you done a SQL trace or runtime trace to see exactly where in the application the time is being spent?

I did the SQL Tracing and found that the table HTTP_WHITELIST and ICFSERVLOC are taking too much time and showed in red color.

How complex is the screen?

Initial Screen is not that great complex. It has one image, 4 input text boxes, 4 buttons and small table with 5 columns to display the history of real estate objects(building, property, etc) created by login user.

Do you use TabStrips?

No TabStrips.

How many views?

Total 5 Views.

How many components?

Only one component but 4 controllers. One main controller and 3 custom controllers. Two views are attached to the main component controller and all other 3 views mapped to 3 custom controllers(Only one view per one controller). Not used any Assistance classes. Each controller makes one BAPI Call based on its corresponding view if it is called.

How complex is your context?

All contexts are moderate..one header structure and 3-4 table structures.

How deep?

Just one level..

How are you loading it?

All contexts are loaded with user input and they are mapped to the respective component controller context. finally a call to the custom BAPI is made.

The whole development is done through creating webdynpro components through service call using custom BAPI's. We found the HTTPS time is very huge for the first attempt only but subsequent attempts shows decline in the HTTPS duration..not sure how to reduce it..we are trying to work with infrastructure team but not sure how it helps...

I hope the above information will help you to give your valuable inputs..

Thanks,

Srinivas

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>Q: Are you seeing this on just one application or all of them - including SAP's samples?

A: Yes, I see this problem across all the applications(SAP and Custom). But, this is only for first time and subsequent attempts are fast loaded.

That is good and bad. The rest of my questions are mostly moot. That probably means something at the infrastructure level is the problem and once you find it, it will be corrected for all applications.

>did the SQL Tracing and found that the table HTTP_WHITELIST and ICFSERVLOC are taking too much time and showed in red color.

How much time? Does it account for it all? Do you have any configuration in HTTP_WHITELIST (you can check by browsing the table in SE16)?

>We found the HTTPS time is very huge for the first attempt only but subsequent attempts shows decline in the HTTPS duration

Sounds like HTTPS might be the culprit - and the problem might even reside outside of the ABAP AS. Have you tried without HTTPS? Are you using a reverse proxy?

If you defintely find that the problem is not external to your system I would contact SAP support. Since this effects all applications and the wait time is certainly abnormal, they can have a look at things.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Given it is the first time apps run, is it the compilation of the programs involved? Visible in Sm50.

If it is the caching of the programs in PXA that helps, then you may have significant infrastructure tuning issue.

St04 is often a good place to start.

regards

Phil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry double post.

Edited by: Phil Soady on Oct 23, 2008 8:49 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

We do not have any configuration data in HTTP_WHITELIST but we have some data in ICFSERVLOC and the time taken roughly around 150ms for both.

Also, we are having reverse proxy so curious to know if it effects the performance. Do you have any suggestions in this case to improve performance?

Thanks,

Srinivas

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

150ms is nothing - defintely not the source of your problem. A reverse proxy can be the source of the problem if it is taking a long time for HTTPS encrypton and forward. It depends upon the reverse proxy and its configuration - but it is something is something you should look at.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thomas,

What about this OLE_FLUSH_CALLS? These are also taking some time around 150ms with many attempts..but not more than 20 attempts..

Thanks,

Sriinivas

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Are you sure the OLE_FLUSH is from the Web Dynpro application? OLE_FLUSH is the communication between the Application Server and the SAPGUI for Control Framework objects.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, it looks like between the servers and not from the webdynpro application.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

I know its a late response, but wanted to check whether implementing the below notes will fix my performance problem.

0001101866 Accessing the virtual host on the default service

0001107186 Error when calculating system fields

0001230506 Endless loop when starting Web Dynpro ABAP

I got these above notes from a colleague working in portal. I even identified that in SQL tracing there is huge amount of time is consumed by the selections on ICF Config tables.

Please advise me..

Thanks,

Srinivas

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

I have no way of knowing if those notes will solve your problem. Why not apply them and find out.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please check out the links -

Regards

Lekha