cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ChaRM with several transport layers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

We would like to use Solman ChaRM approach.

According to SPRO-documentation ChaRM only supports consolidation routes from standard transport layer.

We have besides the standard transport layer other transport layer and have the following question

1)What will happen when the developer try to change and import into QAS system object assigning to none-standard transport layer?

1a) ChaRM does not allow to change this object and the appropriate pop up window comes up

1b) ChaRM integrate this transport layer as standard transport layer

Any helpful information will be very appreciated

Thank you very much!

regards

Thom

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member385033
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Thom,

I think, your question is almost independent from CHaRM. This is handled by the transport management system (TMS). If your developer changes the object assignment to a transport layer, and there is a transport track for this layer to the (same) QAS it should work. But if this QAS is not configured in CHaRM as a target system (in SOLAR_PROJECT_ADMIN), SolMan will probably raise an error message.

Also if the transport layer assignment / dev package not valid for this transport track, you will not able to release the transport -> SolMan is just using TMS mechanism and this will bring up an error message in CRMD_ORDER.

Unfortunately you can't see the transport logs in CRMD_ORDER directly, so the answer to 1a) is: In case of trouble releasing the transport you will get an error, but not the full error message.

1b) ChaRM cannot change a transport layer to a standard transport layer, this must be done using STMS on the transport daimn controller.

Regards,

Holger

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Holger,

thank you very much for your response.

If I understand you right ChaRM supports all the transport layers in TMS between the appropriate system defined in ChaRM.

I am a bit confused because of the following description in tcode SPRO:

"Transports are supported in the standard transport layer of each client. When you configure transport routes, note that only consolidation routes that are assigned to the standard transport layer of the relevant exporting client are taken into consideration. For each exporting client, exactly one target client and one target group are permitted.

We recommend that you assign exactly one development system to a production system, and that these two systems are connected by exactly one unique transport track."

It will be great if you further consider my issue.

Thank's

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thom,

Over here we are using ChaRM and our DEV system all have a consolidation route for standard and non-standard objects.

Beyond them there are deliver routes to bring the transports to the next systems.

We even have a CON system, which has a delivery route to QAS and two consolidation routes to QAS.

If you do a proper setup of TMS and specify all the necessary systems in TA SOLAR_PROJECT_ADMIN, ChaRM will work like a charm

Roel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roel!

Thank you!

The situation I have:

we have one DEV system with one customizing client (DEV:100).

We transport into QAS system (QAS:100).

Between these 2 systems (DEV:100 --> QAS:100) we have several transport routes:

ZDEV (standard transport route)

SAP (SAP transport route)

ZOV1 (transport route for other developments)

ZOVB2 (transport route for third tools)

Question:

Are all the transport layers supported with ChaRM?

Thank you!

regards

Thom

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thom,

In my opinion: YES; ChaRM can handle this without an issue.

Define your DEV system the the 'Source System'-role, your QAS system with the 'Target System'-role and your PRD system with 'Production System'-role and ChaRM will know how and where to transport.

Best regards,

Roel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

Many thanks and what did you say about the official SAP statement?

"Transports are supported in the standard transport layer of each client. When you configure transport routes, note that only consolidation routes that are assigned to the standard transport layer of the relevant exporting client are taken into consideration. For each exporting client, exactly one target client and one target group are permitted.

We recommend that you assign exactly one development system to a production system, and that these two systems are connected by exactly one unique transport track."

Thank you!

Thom

Former Member
0 Kudos

Didn't say anything about the official SAP statement and keeping it that way.

The things I mentioned are based on my experience I have on the project and we also have more than one consolidation transport route and it's working fine.

Best regards,

Roel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

Could you please send some screen shots from your TMS settings with several transport routes?

My e-mail adress: sdnuser007@yahoo.de

Many thanks!

regards

Thom

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thom,

[Here|https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_download&send_id=617296153&email=e92d91069410417d6341c8bdfd9eb6e8] you can view a screenshot of our TMS Landscape.

Roel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roel,

thank you very much!

I canot see that you are facing with the same situation, because:

I work in one DEV client and transport in one and the same QAS client.

Between DEV client and QAS client I use several transport layers and transport routes.

As I already mentioned according SPRO-documentation in such cases only consolidation routes from standard transport routes are supported...

Do you use Solman ChaRM approach for all the systems?

Our approach is to use Solman for some application and to use in parallel usual TMS approach for other projects...

Thanks!

Thom

former_member385033
Participant
0 Kudos

Thom,

we are having a system with more than one transport layer pointing to the same QAS, this works fine. If the objects for these transport layers are having differnet development clients, so you have to assign the transport layer in STMS to the client.

Regards,

Holger

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Holger,

thank you very much for your response.

To clarify:

Do you transport from the same client in DEV system into the same QAS-client by means of several transport routes?

I mean the following configuration:

DEV:100 --> QAS:100 with transport layers

(ZDEV, SAP, ZCU1, ZCU2, ZCU3, etc.)

Thank you very much!

regards

Thom